GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 4l60e trans in my dads 06 1500 has started to act up...it has this whine sound when in park and in neutral. it sounds a lot like a bearing going bad, but i am not entirely sure. That had been going on for a good month or so. Just recently it has started making a real loud humming noise while driving down the road. At first i mistook it for a tire whine, but after jacking the rear end up and putting it in drive i now know the sound is coming from the trans. The trans shirts perfectly, no shuttering, no shaking, and no hard shifts. When we jacked the rear end up we noticed the rear tires wanted to drive on their own, even in neutral. In neutral the tires were spinning at 10 mph and then when we sped the motor up to 2 grand (still in neutral) the speedo hit 45mph. When the brakes were applied in neutral the tires stopped spinning (obviously) and the motor labors as if there is resistance. Another thing i noticed since he bought the truck was as soon as you started it up and put it in gear it took off fast and on its own. We are kind of guessing it is torque converter related, but are not sure. Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated. If it helps at all the truck is a reg cab, long box, 4.8, 2wd work truck. Miles are 154k. original trans.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
That's kind of what we figured, but wanted to see if anyone else had any opinions or similar experiences. Thanks Mr. 960!
Could also be a bad seal/valve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts