GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was wondering about my trany... my truck has 78k miles on it... Its an 03... i bought the truck last march.. so almost a year now. Anyways, the guys said when I bought it that he had recently had the fluid changed. He might of just been saying that, but he seemed honest. What I am wondering is when can you tell if you need to change it? Also, I have heard some horror stories of changing tranny fluid or when getting them flushed.... things like "It failed right after it was flushed" ... Whats the deal with that? I heard that sometimes when you get em flushed, it forces dirty stuff into critical components and makes the tranny prematurely fail... Whats the deal with all this? Intervals and when to change? and do you get it flushed? I dont know much about trannys, so excuse my ignorance! Thanks Everyone!

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
GM recommends changing it every 100k! :insane: but I would never do that. 15k is more appropriate IMO. I took have heard the horror stories of flushing them. I acually just changed my tranny fluid two days ago. just let the truck warm up for a bit, then turned it off and pulled the pan off and let it all fall out. cleaned the pan and put the new filter and gasket on and buttoned everything back up + 5 quarts of ATF

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Me and some other members digagree about the fluid change, but if you think he's changed the fluid, you can go ahead and do it as well. i don't believe in going 100K with no change then changing it..if there isn't a problem present. Don't just a drain and fill, like engine oil. Somewhere on here, someone had a detailed description on how to get it out completly. I can't type that much stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts