GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am comming up on my 50,000 mile transmission service for my truck. I got a quote from a reputable transmission shop about getting some work done to it. Don't trust local stealership horror stories about them and service.

I was wanting to put a shift kit, transmission cooler, and change out the 4th servo, drop the pan and refill. The guy said $400 out the door for it all. I have never had much transmission work done and I put in the corvette servo myself so I am looking for some feed back on does it sound reasonable?

Thanks
Justin-

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have added this into the origional post but I also tow a smoker on the weekend to competetions and and sometimes a pop-up when not doing that. Will this put too much strain on the transmission? I have the 4.8L engine, can't remember the gears off the top of my head would have to look them up again.
The smoker and pop-up are not heavy at all I just don't want to screw up something good that I already have right now by doing this.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
You will have to wait for the tranny guys to get in here. I wouldn't know about the towing part. But that price does sound good.

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man good look NNBS btw are those 6K in the fogs I am debating between 6K for driving lights down there or 3K;s for "true fog lights"

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I know of SpencerHID's I am a member also of gm-trucks.com and I know a lot of guys that buy from him. I was going to get in on that group buy but it fell apart apperantly. If there is another one soon i might do it.

Thanks for the input though on the transmission question I am having. I appericate it.

Justin

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Your towing sounds very lightweight. The pop-up is probably the heavier of the two and an average one weighs maybe 1500-3000 pounds, IIRC.

The modifications you plan sound like they would improve the transmission's longevity and towing ability, so nothing to to worry about with your trailers. The aux cooler will definitely help if you don't have one now.

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input I think I am going to call the transmission shop and get it in monday and hopefully he can get it back to me by the end of the week. Thanks for the input.

Justin

Your towing sounds very lightweight. The pop-up is probably the heavier of the two and an average one weighs maybe 1500-3000 pounds, IIRC.

The modifications you plan sound like they would improve the transmission's longevity and towing ability, so nothing to to worry about with your trailers. The aux cooler will definitely help if you don't have one now.

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that info I was reading some other topics that have been posted and I have changed my mind about the servo.

Thank you

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Thanks for that info I was reading some other topics that have been posted and I have changed my mind about the servo.

Thank you
No problem. I would hate for someone to wsate $$ like I did. It's not a bad mod, just not worth 80 bucks as I could hardly tell it was in there at all.

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I am probably going to do the tranny shift kit, fluid change, and tranny cooler and that is it as of right now. Trying to save up for some LPP headers but it for some reason there is a hole in my pocket when money goes in there it does not stay too long.

I really like that pic I sent a message to the gentlemen that has the DJM drop kit for sale I am new to lowering trucks. Since we do get snow up here sometimes in Kansas I think that kit will give me the look I am after and be able to still drive it during the winter.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Yea I am probably going to do the tranny shift kit, fluid change, and tranny cooler and that is it as of right now. Trying to save up for some LPP headers but it for some reason there is a hole in my pocket when money goes in there it does not stay too long.

I really like that pic I sent a message to the gentlemen that has the DJM drop kit for sale I am new to lowering trucks. Since we do get snow up here sometimes in Kansas I think that kit will give me the look I am after and be able to still drive it during the winter.
The 3/6 should look good. You need to paint your front end too!

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea that photo is not updated I have a trade currently going on for a chrome grill and bumper to replace them and I have ordered the painted end caps with fog lights a while ago but I am saving for a HID kit from spencer for them so I can do it all at once. Take her from ugly step child she is to a nice head turner.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Yea that photo is not updated I have a trade currently going on for a chrome grill and bumper to replace them and I have ordered the painted end caps with fog lights a while ago but I am saving for a HID kit from spencer for them so I can do it all at once. Take her from ugly step child she is to a nice head turner.
Hell yeah that's going to look very nice!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You sound like your trucks coming along good. The front end will make you fall in love with the truck all over again... A slight drop will look badass too...

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea my first truck was a 1953 5 window truck that my father and I started restoring and then our family went trough a rough patch and we sold the truck. But that is alright I just got a 71 to start tinkering with also and I got this one for myself as an early graduation present. I love driving it every day I still park out in the boonies at wal-mart even after owinging it almsot 2 years...hahanice looking truck man.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Yea my first truck was a 1953 5 window truck that my father and I started restoring and then our family went trough a rough patch and we sold the truck. But that is alright I just got a 71 to start tinkering with also and I got this one for myself as an early graduation present. I love driving it every day I still park out in the boonies at wal-mart even after owinging it almsot 2 years...hahanice looking truck man.
thanks lol we got the same name.. but yea I lve my 4.8 it gets the job done, although it could be a lot quicker low end...

·
Duckahollic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks lol we got the same name.. but yea I lve my 4.8 it gets the job done, although it could be a lot quicker low end...
Yea it does what I need it to do and I am not a drag racer anyways just enjoy going to the test and tune once in a while, it is kind of a sleeper though people don't expect the fury that it does bring, love whippin up on Tacomas the expression of their face is priceless.....:lazer:.
Yea I am on the gm-trucks.com all the time but it seems that it is kinda dying over there for this style in the aftermarket area more or less and espically the lowered trucks section that is why I joined over here also.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts