GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a 4L80-E into my work truck and I am currently working on the transmission coolant lines. I want to use steel braided lines instead of the stock hard lines. What fitting do I need to convert the steel braided hose end (below) to the transmission?

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
What kind of fitting is on the other side? Female, but female what? NPT? JIC/AN? IF?

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-AN fitting

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
I'm installing a 4L80-E into my work truck and I am currently working on the transmission coolant lines. I want to use steel braided lines instead of the stock hard lines. What fitting do I need to convert the steel braided hose end (below) to the transmission?

I kinda don't understand what you want. But i just did my 80 swap and used the AN fitting and steel braided lines that came in my Speed Engineering conversion kit. WHat exactly do you need to know about the line? Just go order some line from somewhere, it's made to go with the AN Fittings.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kinda don't understand what you want. But i just did my 80 swap and used the AN fitting and steel braided lines that came in my Speed Engineering conversion kit. WHat exactly do you need to know about the line? Just go order some line from somewhere, it's made to go with the AN Fittings.
Sorry, sometimes I don't quite explain things clearly enough LOL!! I wanna do something like this

DSC00488.jpg

This is off of silver-mod-o's thread. See the blue piece that screws into the transmission? What will screw into there? Is it Pipe Thread? NPT? -AN? Also what size is it?

If I know the size and type of thread I can get an adapter like this:

sum-220047.jpg

then stick on the -AN hose end, this thing:

ear-809108erl_w.jpg

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Sorry, sometimes I don't quite explain things clearly enough LOL!! I wanna do something like this

The only problem i can see and can give you advice on with those pics right there is that if you have any problems or need to take them off or they leak, it's gonna be so hard to get to those fittings. It looks better than mine, but from experience like a few weeks ago, the 4l80 is much wider and close to the passenger cab wall, and mine were hard enough to get to. I just used the existing quick connects that FLT had on there, cut the existing lines off my truck about 4 inches down so that they went right into that quick connect, and flared the ends and put the straight AN fittings on, worked out awesome.

DSC00224.gif

And then the other end i found a nice straight part of the hard lines the tapped in there, flarred all the ends before i put the nuts on, and worked out great, just make sure everything is straight to one another.

DSC00223.gif

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of swaping this

for an adapter with a 90 degree bend in it like this

that way the hose will be close to the transmission and hopefully easier to get to and work on.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The only problem i can see and can give you advice on with those pics right there is that if you have any problems or need to take them off or they leak, it's gonna be so hard to get to those fittings. It looks better than mine, but from experience like a few weeks ago, the 4l80 is much wider and close to the passenger cab wall, and mine were hard enough to get to. I just used the existing quick connects that FLT had on there, cut the existing lines off my truck about 4 inches down so that they went right into that quick connect, and flared the ends and put the straight AN fittings on, worked out awesome.

DSC00224.gif

And then the other end i found a nice straight part of the hard lines the tapped in there, flarred all the ends before i put the nuts on, and worked out great, just make sure everything is straight to one another.

DSC00223.gif
:read: thats the easiest way to do it:imo...thats how im doin mine..today hopefully lol...

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
i have all the pics, what do you need? And i have a lot of suggestions, lol, everything went pretty good for me. Get a transmission jack, that's the only thing i can suggest, makes things sooooooo much easier.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i have all the pics, what do you need? And i have a lot of suggestions, lol, everything went pretty good for me. Get a transmission jack, that's the only thing i can suggest, makes things sooooooo much easier.
nono i dont mean any suggestions on the 80e swap...i meant any suggestions on the lines and fittings, this is because i have never flared lines into fittings before. but i have a good idea to start at...

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
yah, just go get a flarring tool from an autoparts store, it's a piece of cake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts