GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question about swapping a 98 4L80-E into my 89 Silverado. The 4L80-E is shifted by a cable, my 89 uses linkage to shift the trasnmission. So I guess my question is how do I set up my truck to shift with a cable OR how do I set up my transmission to shift with the linkage?

·
Registered
999 Posts
91-94/95 trucks had linkage shifters, 95+ were cable.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So will the linkage from a 88-94/95 with a 4L80 work with my 98 4L80-E?

·
Registered
999 Posts
try to find an 88-90 truck with a stock 4L80E in it, you wont be able to do it. just convert to cable.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C'mon! Sombody has got to know this! :bowtie:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are'nt the two transmissions in question, almost identical externally? I would think you would be able to easily connect your existing mechanical linkage. You might have to swap the little shift lever out, thats bolted to your tranny, from old tranny to new tranny, but other than that...? Do you have access to a 4L80E to physically compare the two? It should be quite easy to install shift accuation. Since the 4L80E is computer controlled, and your older transmission was'nt, how will you be controlling it?

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might have to swap the little shift lever out, thats bolted to your tranny, from old tranny to new tranny, but other than that...?
I tried that and the old one doesn't fit... I'm gonna see if I can find a 4L80 or TH400 out of a truck with the linkage and see if one of those peices with work. If it doesn't, I'll have to do something custom.

Do you have access to a 4L80E to physically compare the two?
Yeah, I have the 4L80 sitting right next to the stock tranny!

Since the 4L80E is computer controlled, and your older transmission was'nt, how will you be controlling it?
I'm swapping out my stock motor and transmission. Out with the TBI 350 and tired 4L60 and in with the Vortec 454 and 4L80-E!!!!!

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
ummm, in 89 it was still a 700R4. If I understand correctly you're talking about the shift linkage, and not the TB cable. If it was me I would buy a b&m or similar shifter with a cable linkage. More bling than stock and it will probably be easiest to get working right.

You do realize you need to wire in the computer for the new trans out of the 98 right?

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ummm, in 89 it was still a 700R4.
Opps, your right. I must not have paid attention to what transmission I was typing! LOL!

You do realize you need to wire in the computer for the new trans out of the 98 right?
Yeah, I have the complete Engine, Transmission, Wiring and Computer out of the 98. It's all going in. :bowtie:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts