GMC Truck Forum banner

4l80e fluid problem...

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  fordsareslow 
#1 ·
ok, just got done doing my 4l80e conversion today and took my truck for a ride(put about 80 miles on it breaking it into its new home) checked the fluid every 10 miles or so just to be sure. i have a lokar stainless steel braided dipstick tube and the dipstick is made of a rubber plastic type deal and the fluid just beads off it:flame:. i made a mark with sharpie on it going up from the bottom to see if it would help and it read like 3-4 inches over max line?!? the suggested amount of fluid needed for the 4l80e is 12-14 quarts(including empty lines, cooler, torque converter, etc. i have put 13.5 into the system...whats the deal with this? i think my dipstick tube is just a peice of junk made for looks:supergay:. and isnt every inch of fluid on the dipstick represent a quart or something? so this would mean its 3-4 quarts over filled or almost a half gallon. theres gotta be something wrong here because it would have gone out the overflow on the trans. anybody know how many quarts over it has to be to overflow?

oh, yea by the way the trans shifts and acts completely fine even after driving 65 for about 20 mins straight. then back 20 mins straight after getting off the highway sitting at a light then getting back on in the opposite direction.

#2 ·
how about the power loss due to the gearing

#8 ·
You need the wide ratio gear set.

Also, why didn't you buy an OEM dipstick setup?

#9 ·
ha little off topic but its not bad really. just run high rpms on the highway. i run 2500@70-75 with 285/50r20s...what would be my best bet 4.10s?
that is what i am running @ 65MPH I am at 2K RPM in OD

#11 ·
#12 ·
You need the wide ratio gear set.

Also, why didn't you buy an OEM dipstick setup?
what gear ratio setup:think:. and yes i did buy a factory dipstick setup but dub sent me some peice of crap stainless steel braided dipstick, and dipstick tube when i clearly told him i wanted the factory one because i was going for a clean look in the engine bay not all blingy and shit. and the problem with it is the dipstick itself is rubber and the fluid just beads off of it so you cant even read the fluid level:flame:.

oh, yes i ordered a factory dipstick setup i will have it tomorrow...

#13 ·
It's a 2.75:1 first, 1.57:1 second... hold onto your ass, it's ~$600. :shake:

TCI makes it.

#17 ·
Nah, just get a higher stall TC. The close ratio gears of teh 80e are what makes it desireable overthe 4l60e/65e/70e, along with it being MUCH stronger.

peace
Hog

Yes, it helps. The gear split is still better with the wide ratio set, it's going to be similar to a 200-4R then.

would a higher stall TC lower my cruising RPM? i plan on a yank3200 stall. how much would it help my cruising rpm if it did at all?

You sure the converter is locking?

3.73:1, 31.22" tires, 70mph, and 0.75:1 OD shows 2108rpm cruise

#19 ·
Ah, gotcha.

#20 ·
Kind of off topic, but the 4L60e has two tranny lines going into the tranny (one on top of the other) When you put in your 4L80e, which line did you move to where? The 4L80e also has two lines, (one towards the front and one towards the back). Does the top tranny line from the 60 get moved to the back or does the bottom line from the 60 get moved to the back? That's pretty much the last thing I have to hook up and I can finally drive my truck again.

:sorry: for jacking your thread. TIA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.