1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
some great info on this forum.
I'm after a little help.
I'm in the process of pulling apart a 241 and a 243 t/fer case to swap the 32 for the 27 spline input shafts so as to make the 4L80e swap into my Suburban.
Can anyone tell me where I can find a manual/diagram of the t/fer cases to aid in the disassembly/reassembly process?
Thanks

Howard

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt,
That's fantastic!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just dowloaded it Matt, it's almost unreadable...is that just me?

Thanks

Howard

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
It's really simple, just a series of snap ring basically. It comes apart and goes together very easily.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys,
Matt, the pdf in the t/fer case file is fine except for the electrical schematic which isn't readable but the exploded views are excellent.
Just what I needed.
Thanks

Howard

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
It's really simple, just a series of snap ring basically. It comes apart and goes together very easily.
Very true, when I was getting ready to pull mine apart bggrnchvy along with a few others were telling me it was gonna be easy. I continued to think that it was gonna be really hard, but, once I pulled it apart it really was easy to put it back together! After doing just one I am extremely confident that I could do another without breaking a sweat!

P.S.: P.M. me your E-Mail address, I have a couple scans of what you need out of the shop manual.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks Guys,
Matt, the pdf in the t/fer case file is fine except for the electrical schematic which isn't readable but the exploded views are excellent.
Just what I needed.
Thanks

Howard
Yea sorry about that. It isn't the best quality but better than nothing. If you can't read the wiring diagram in the pdf, check the wiring diagrams folder for actually jpeg images of all the wiring schematics.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou.

Didn't mean to sound like I was complaining...deffinately not. The info is awesome.
Also, what sort of tool is needed to remove the lockrings (circlips)? They're not like normal circlips with the holes in them.

Thanks

Howard

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do any of you guys see there would be an issue with me swapping out all of the bolts holding the t/fer case together with stainless?
Maybe allen key type?

Thanks

Howard

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Stainless hardware isn't near as strong as any graded hardware. Don't do it. Keep using the 9.8 or 10.9 hardware GM used factory.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK..will do.
Thanks Kyle

Howard

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a blow up of transfer case pieces with seal and bearing part numbers for anyone interested.

ExplodedCasewithparts.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way...the CR seals are high temp. The 'N' in the 6010N denotes a groove in the outer bearing housing in which a circlip fits.
I'll post a full set of numbers as listed by CBC bearing in a day or two.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Guys,
well, the trany's coming along really well. Rebuilding it at present. Wasn't going to but seeing as I had it out and had the Transgo kit to put in it, I thought I'd do the internal part of the kit as well (springs).
Should be in the truck next week.
Just waiting on the rebuild kit to arrive in a few days.
Tailshaft was shortened 43mm (that's around 1 3/4") and new uni's installed.
At the moment the tailshaft, trans pan, trans to t/fer case adaptor and t/fer case front output yoke are all in the process of being blasted and powdered silver pearl.
Monday I'll take the rocker covers, whipple brackets and all pulleys to be done also.
Two weeks and this all needs to be running!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
An update.
Trany is built and will go in tomorrow and Thursday.
Manifold is on and slowly coming together.

P9160027.jpg

P9170009.jpg

P9170010.jpg

P9160028.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
80E is in!
It rained on me but I was determined to get this in this afternoon.

P9190012.jpg

P9190010.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
P9200005.jpg

Got the transfer case in.

I had everything I saw appropriate powder coated silver.
I HATE rust!!!
I noticed that the 60E and 80E selector cable brackets are NOT interchangable.
Don't know if anyone else has noticed this and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere where others have made this swap. Luckily the guy I bought the trany off included that bracket.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts