GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a question about my 80E. I wanted to finally install my tranny temp guage and wondered what id need for it. its got the electric probe thing, but thats it. idk what it needs and where to put it. was looking for some help or a pn for the instal kit. also looking for a great tranny pan to add, want some more capacity and cool it better.

also, check out project red sled this month. they installed a tranny control unit that im highly interested in. what do you guys think, or has anyone ever messed with one? i think it would be a great addition to prolonging the trannys life. it doesnt say much and idk much about it yet, but it looks like a fairly complicated install and some things blew me away. what are your guys thoughts on it?

i know its a performance thing, but i thought it was better to ask here.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man! id like some info on it, or maybe an email so i could aska few questions. im very interested in that project and am very question filled. i really want to know about the tranny controler tho, its caught my eye and would save me the hassles of hook up gauges and stuff to monitor it since its an all in one deal.

Thanks man!

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
i know on the 60e's you can thread the sendor into the line pressure port on the drivers side right above the shift linkage and wiring. I know of 2 installs that way. its accurate but its not in the pan either.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
yeah if the 80E is like the 60E i used the pressure test port on the side and the autometer temp sender screwed right in and then its one wire from the sender to the gauge. then hook the gauge up to lights and your good to go.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you guys possibly get a pic to show me abouts where ta look? thanks guys!

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
do a google search typing in 4l60e transmission temperature gaue, and a site will be up with a tahoe getting a gauge install, its one of the first 3 or 4 sites listed...

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
titties and beer. im gonna installer this weekend, granted i have that little hole. if not, i think ill make one!

now what about installing into my axle housing?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
what you want a diff gauge? i was thinking about it but i dont think its feasable. go with say trans temp, t case temp, or oil temp.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i already got the diff gauge.

Whats one for the t case look like? if i can find one to match my tranny temp ill get one. or could i use my one that would say Diff for the t case? lol where would i hook it up at anyways

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
well here my input about the diff gauge. I was going to go to a junk yard and get another fill plug, weld up the hole in it to where i can put a wrench on itm not in it like now. Then bring it to my neighbor have him dfill it and tap it to where the sender would thread into the plug just enought to catch some fluid sloshing around in there. Remember you cant put sender too far in there or your pinion gear will eat that sender up

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
those mag tech or w.e diff covers have a place about the pinion to put the sender. i planned on getting a bigger diff cover for more fluids, but i dont want to pay 300 bucks for a damn cover. also found an 80e tranny pan that holds 3 extra quarts, its cast aluminum for like 100 bucks. possibly gonna get the B&M tho that holds 4 quarts extra.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got the sender in according to that tahoe write up./ installed my pillar pod. now ive got to hook it all up.

do you think it would be an ok idea to put a sender in the drain plug for the t case? i just dont think the fill plug would get any oil up there or on it but i may b wrong. i planned to drill and tap a hole and insert the larger reducer into it like it says to do for a diff cover.

also still thinking about jsut installing into a diff cover.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
yeah drill and tap the t case drain plug imo, dont fool with the diff.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks man!

i thought about cheatin on the rear end and installing the sender in place of my fill plug. wouldnt be as accurate but its better then ruining the cover if i mess up.

u guys think i should make a how to on installin them on the 80E? i got some pics of it

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
your pinon will chew up the sender, the sndor sticks in there at least an inch, you have to make some shit for this to work. diff is too much shit, return that gauge imo.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
would if i could. i think ill just sell it. i thought about making a 1-1.5" spacer to put between my diff. cover and the housing. that would give me added capacity and room for things like a sender.

·
submarine z71
1,310 Posts
do a google search typing in 4l60e transmission temperature gaue, and a site will be up with a tahoe getting a gauge install, its one of the first 3 or 4 sites listed...
sig? :bs:
i dont believe u can quote me on that
but theres plenty of other stupid things that you could quote me on

1 - 20 of 20 Posts