GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my 4l80e this weekend and got everything back together...went to put the front driveshaft on and it's hitting the shifter cable bracket on the left side of the transmission and doesn't line up.

I thought maybe it was just a tight fit, but looks like I clocked the transfer case wrong.

Does anyone happen to know the proper position the t-case is supposed to be clocked to in order to line up the front driveshaft? Picture?

I mean I don't think it can go anymore clockwise (front output shaft up) so i'm assuming down one but don't know if the output shaft will hit the cross member.

I should have marked the top with the paint pen prior to removal, but i'm apparently an idiot.

Responses appreciated.

Jack

·
Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.
4,253 Posts
Arent they doweled?

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope...transmission is, not the tcase.

edit...t-case bell housing to engine is :read:

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't have it clocked wrong...actually it will only fit in one position due to the under cab clearance and cross member preventing a different position.

The shifter cable bracket on the new transmission was different preventing the driveshaft from going in...I got it all straightened out now, so Big Red is back on the road and capable again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a truck about a year ago and just now getting around to putting the front DS in and it’s rubbing the transmission linkage pretty good I was thinking the same about the TC needing to be reclocked but it’s a one way fit deal so somebody know an answer to this problem.... thanks !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump. Having the same issue. Less than a quarter inch of clearance if any between the shift linkage bolt, the wiring connector and the front driveshaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts