GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i have a biult 4l80e trans would it be able to take between 500 and 600 hp with a set of 40 in tires. and this would be betting the ever living shit out of the truck with the forties on it. if it wouldent then what do i need.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah, a stock 4L80E should hold close to that for a while. It's just bigger and stronger, you won't break any internals which is an upside. I'd probably go find a solid core 4L80E and get a kickass rebuild on it if you plan to keep the truck for a while.

I found the part that's going to allow you to keep the AutoTrac case with the 4L80E as it's got a 32T output shaft vs the 27T off the 4L60E. :D

FYI... 4L80E swap takes some fab work, x-member making, $300 wiring harness, crank spacer, cooler lines, dipstick tube, and some other assorted stuff.

·
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would it take to swap a 4l80e along with one of those new 402 short blocks in and could i still bolt up a np241 case cause i want to do a solid axle to.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Are you lifted currently? If not, I'd consider getting an HD so you have a beefier frame, 10.5" rear, and a 4L80E to start with.

·
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
currently i am lifted what i am doing is researching some stuff for the future. the plan is to do a sas with d60 and 14 bolt with 5.13s and a set of forties the front is going to be running a five link with back being leafs and shackle flip. and so i want to beef up the drive train cause i want more power hense the reason i'm asking about the trans and motor. but i'm also interested in the swap to my current setup if i was to kill the 4l60e in it right now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
500HP will kill the 4l80e in short order. You should get one built to take that kind of power. If I was you, I would just look for a wrecked HD truck and buy the whole thing, then just transfer everything over, unless you want to do a lot of fabrication

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
GMCtrk said:
500HP will kill the 4l80e in short order. You should get one built to take that kind of power. If I was you, I would just look for a wrecked HD truck and buy the whole thing, then just transfer everything over, unless you want to do a lot of fabrication
I would also make sure you have one built to handle that power. In stock form you're gonna kill it quick if you're hard on it. Get a performance build on it and it will hold a lot more power.

Cameron

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Not to be anti GM but I'd just consider an F350 or 3500 Ram...

You have solid axles, 1-ton drive line, etc etc. :shake:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.