GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay everyone i was wondering what years do i need to look for to run in my 96 k1500.the trans will be used for a 383 stroker w/a marine intake swap.i work for a large auto salvage so i`m hoping to find one thats needs to be rebuilt or has a ton of miles on it.what else do i need to make it work in my 96 4x4?will the 4l60e t-case work w/the 4l80e?

·
Registered
807 Posts
i think you can run any 4l80e not sure tho, but i have heard bad things about the early 1990s editions of the 80e. and your transfer case will work but you will need a different imput gear which requires a complete disassembly of the entire t-case. i just did mine a few months ago when i did my 80e conversion, and the t-case was by far the hardest part it will fight you every step of the way...pretty much sucks to do. or you could buy an HD t-case out of a truck that came factory w/ 80e.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You need to swap the 60E's input gear to the 32 spline to match the 80E. I don't think AutoTrac was around in '96 so try to score an '80E w/ the case.

Get the newest you can find, the '99+ from a GenIII have updated guts.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
okay everyone i was wondering what years do i need to look for to run in my 96 k1500.the trans will be used for a 383 stroker w/a marine intake swap.i work for a large auto salvage so i`m hoping to find one thats needs to be rebuilt or has a ton of miles on it.what else do i need to make it work in my 96 4x4?will the 4l60e t-case work w/the 4l80e?
since you work for an auto salvage operation and will already need the 4x4 trans (you won't find a 4x4 output, trust me...) you might as well grab everything from the bellhousing back.

Like stated above, the later you can find, the better...but then you run into some funkier t-cases and id imagine you would want an np241. If you were to just get the trans alone, you would need the proper adaptor too...it gets to be a pricey set up. trans x-member needs to be modded to move the mount back 2". A tune will also be needed to control the 80e from you pcm. most everything else should swap over and just add the 2nd speed sensor and you should be in pretty good shape. its a lot easier swap than what im running into. Kyle (bggrnchevy) did his swap about a year or so ago in a vortec obs truck, mechnically similar to yours. he has a write up on here and is on aim often.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok,would a fully built 4l60e from like FLT hold up?that would be the easier way out.but if it wont hold up no since in wasting the money on the 4l60e.i was thinking i could find a 4l80e w/a lot of miles on it and get it from my work for core value(or free),have it rebuilt,and install the 2.76 first gear.so in order to mate the 4l80e tranny to the the 4l60e t-case i would have to tear the t-case down to replace the input gear.or would i better off w/a newer t-case?i have a westers tuned pcm.can he tune it for the 4l80e?i will have to retune anyway w/the 383.i finally got some extra cash put aside and want to get started on this project b-4 i spend it on something else.lol

·
Registered
807 Posts
FLT level 5 4l60/65e=around 550 rwhp...but weight and the way you drive it play a big role in a 60/65e. looks like your truck is lifted in the icon and a pretty decent lift. if your putting out good power and you drive it like you stole it go for the 80e...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Do the 80E.

·
5,501 Posts
ok,would a fully built 4l60e from like FLT hold up?that would be the easier way out.but if it wont hold up no since in wasting the money on the 4l60e.i was thinking i could find a 4l80e w/a lot of miles on it and get it from my work for core value(or free),have it rebuilt,and install the 2.76 first gear.so in order to mate the 4l80e tranny to the the 4l60e t-case i would have to tear the t-case down to replace the input gear.or would i better off w/a newer t-case?i have a westers tuned pcm.can he tune it for the 4l80e?i will have to retune anyway w/the 383.i finally got some extra cash put aside and want to get started on this project b-4 i spend it on something else.lol
t-case will need to be torn down, corresponding 32t input installed. Like i said, if you can find a case in good shape from a 80e or nv4500, get it. it will just make your life a little easier

what part of ga are you from and what company do you work for?? i always need junkyard stuff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea my truck is lifted and running 35/14.5 ssr`s.i`m just wanting to build a strong running truck that will scare some people every now and then if you know what i mean.the truck is pretty much a weekend toy.i use it to haul the boat to the lake and pull an atv trailer.i have a toyota truck i drive back and forth to work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey nicholas i work for lkq auto salvage in jenkinsburg(between atl and macon).cushmans,ricks,and kendricks in the augusta area are some of our biggest customers.in fact i will be in augusta next monday.

·
5,501 Posts
hey nicholas i work for lkq auto salvage in jenkinsburg(between atl and macon).cushmans,ricks,and kendricks in the augusta area are some of our biggest customers.in fact i will be in augusta next monday.
i figured it was lkq. I call yall A LOT when im bored at work, or actually have a legit customer request...lol. and im sorry to hear you got to come to this shithole...i had to get out of town today, just so freaking boring. You shouldn't have any problem getting your hands on the transmission and t-case you need tho. wanna get me a 6.0 for cheap?:hmm:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey where do you work?who do you usually talk to when you call?6.0 for cheap?those words do not belong in the same sentence.lol.we did have a bunch of 5.3`s in the warehouse at one time though.i`ll check on that 6.0.

·
Registered
378 Posts
hey where do you work?who do you usually talk to when you call?6.0 for cheap?those words do not belong in the same sentence.lol.we did have a bunch of 5.3`s in the warehouse at one time though.i`ll check on that 6.0.
Do we at least get a gmfullsize discount?

·
5,501 Posts
i work for advance auto on washington rd....no clue who i talk to...different person every time and they just ask for store number and name.

and i currently don't need another 5.3...but i was quoted a while back on one for a REAL reasonable price. i later called about a 6.0 and they said it was even cheaper, BUT, i have a feeling whoever i talked to looked up a v6 and not a 6 liter. Last time i checked the store's price on a 5.3 was under 500$, but i already picked up one months ago locally for an even better deal than that :rocking:

i do need a 32T p-drop 241 tho bad rt about now...lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well back b-4 lkq went corporate i use to be able to get all kinds of stuff cheap or free.i could get tires,aftermarket rims,aftermarket radios and speakers.its not as easy these days to do.theres a couple guys who buy all the good used tires now and any aftermarket stuff goes to ebay.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahh yes advance auto.i know they change prices all the time based on how long they have had the part in inventory and how many they have.

·
5,501 Posts
when did they go corporate?
ahh yes advance auto.i know they change prices all the time based on how long they have had the part in inventory and how many they have.
yep, supply and demand at its finest. i called 2 weekends ago about a tbi 350...they wanted 1250$ customer cost on it. im sorry but i laughed...remans start at 1200$ through us. lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its been 3-4 years now.they are on the stock market.yea and sometimes i wonder where they come up w/the pricing of this stuff.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Input swap or t-case swap, harness modification, extra turbine input sensor added to the pcm, 80e .bin files loaded, move the trans mount, use the 80e dipstick and inspection cover and t-case adapter and you should be set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts