GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you know your not going to be using your 4x4 is it better to remove the front driveshaft until your going to use 4wd. does it save any parts or get better mpg?

·
Registered
551 Posts
no it does not make a difference if it is in or out.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The only thing it might help, is make your u-joints last a little longer. You have a dual-cardon driveshaft though, so it's meant to be ran at higher angles... so it shouldn't be a problem.

Your gas mileage wouln't change at all... the driveshaft only weighs 30-35lbs (?) maybe. I would just leave it in... your driveshaft is meant to be ran at those angles. I would be more worried about particles and dirt getting into the transfer case after I pulled the driveshaft out, rather than the life expectancy of the u-joints.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If its autotrac dont you have to have the Driveshaft installed all the time..

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think that's right, I've heard about things not working right if the DS is out.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
why would auto trac not like having it out?
Cause it has sensors in both the t-case and front end (I recon) and if they arent working simultaniously it should throw a code.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your running 12"s of lift and 36's and worried about MPG's?:LOL:
Leave the shaft in.:D
i got 14.5 mpg, and it was just curious question.

:read:

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
If you know your not going to be using your 4x4 is it better to remove the front driveshaft until your going to use 4wd. does it save any parts or get better mpg?
I actually went onto wondering if taking the CV shafts out would increase mpg (without them the front end wouldnt spin) and decrease the desire to wheel (cause at the time my balljoints were :guns:). I learned that the unit bearing in the knuckles would not work without the outer joint. So I just threw out the idea for lack of care. I just dont worry about mpg anymore. I just fill up when she needs it. Tho I am concious about it, it is only for folks at the gas station asking how often I am there (to leave them :hmm: /:think:)

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts

·
4,725 Posts
If you have a slip yoke front output, you need a shaft installed at all times.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Dont all NBS 1/2 tons half slip yolk fronts?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
BS..........I ran my truck for over a year without a front shaft and never had a single problem. When I took my lift off, I slapped the front shaft back in and everything was fine.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
^Word. Zuby drove around without one for at least a few weeks. I know he has autotrac.

I also have a few buddies who went without a front 'shaft while they waited for their high-angle dual-cardon 'shafts to be built. None of them ever had problems.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
so the front driveshaft on auto trac trucks has a u-joint on one end and a slip yoke on the other? why the slip yoke if its not articulating with the suspension?

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Yeah I've never had a problem with not having the driveshaft in. On the bigger kits, it will keep your driveline in one piece longer if you don't leave it in all the time.

With autotrac it's spinning all the time(obviously) so I don't see the point in putting wear and tear on a driveshaft when you aren't using it. Now if you need 4wd often or you have a kit like 12" and smaller, usually not something you really have to worry about.

One last thing....biggest problem is people don't grease there CV shafts often enough. Keep that up and it'll last a long time

1 - 20 of 22 Posts