GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I know this subject has been beaten to death lately, but for those of you with custom tunes:

I have a 2003 silverado z-71 with the 5.3, 3.73s and a 6" lift. AND, I'm confused ====>

When you get the custom tune:
a) Do they send you a device that reads how you drive and how your vehicle performs and then you send it back and they send you back a modified pcm??? If not, how does it work?

b) What aspects would need to change if I wanted increased gas mileage and horsepower?

c) What are some interesting things that YOU have changed with a custom tune to increase the performance of YOUR truck?

Sorry to blow this subject up, but I have read hundreds upon hundreds of raves and rants on this and am still about as clear as mud on the subject.

THANK YOU GUYS

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
OK. I know this subject has been beaten to death lately, but for those of you with custom tunes:

I have a 2003 silverado z-71 with the 5.3, 3.73s and a 6" lift. AND, I'm confused ====>

When you get the custom tune:
a) Do they send you a device that reads how you drive and how your vehicle performs and then you send it back and they send you back a modified pcm??? If not, how does it work?

b) What aspects would need to change if I wanted increased gas mileage and horsepower?

c) What are some interesting things that YOU have changed with a custom tune to increase the performance of YOUR truck?

Sorry to blow this subject up, but I have read hundreds upon hundreds of raves and rants on this and am still about as clear as mud on the subject.

THANK YOU GUYS

Most tuners just send you a retuned PCM (the actual computer that controls your truck) without monitoring your driving habits. You simply tell them what you would like to do with the truck ie. increase horsepower, fuel mileage, etc. and they will tune it for this. I know that a member of this website, JUSTINSS (aka Black Bear Performance), does tuning and for a refundable $200 fee, can send you the equipment to monitor your driving and make a tune from that.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
:word: to what Coop said. PM Black Bear Performance. He is one of the best if not THE best in the business and he will take VERY good care of you. Trust me you will LOVE the outcome of your tune.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read that some people have moved their shift points, i.e. shift down faster and shift up later. I am interested in this but don't know if it would hurt my gas mileage. Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I have read that some people have moved their shift points, i.e. shift down faster and shift up later. I am interested in this but don't know if it would hurt my gas mileage. Any ideas on this?
yes you can have your shift points moved to where you would like them. If anything a correct tune is going to give you better gas mileage and more power. Seriously PM Justin @ Black Bear Performance. He will answer all your questions and help you out.

But :imo I bet your current gas mileage is around 14-15 mpg so its not like you are going to get 5 mpg or anything like that. If gas mileage is a concern then you shouldnt have a lifted truck

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'd rerear ASAP

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plan on regearing, probably 4.88s

You're right about the 14-15 mpg, it's not that big a deal I just thought I could save some coin by way of a tune...

BTW I will PM Jusin.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
ah so hes the one to see...thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts