GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 silverado 1500 5.3 when its cold it knocks for at most 30 seconds or if it has been sitting for over an hour maybe 5-10 seconds. I read its either piston slap or lifters. My concern is i am planning on selling the truck soon and i dont want this to keep people from buying it. Is there anything i can do or should i just put new lifters in

·
Registered
323 Posts
Piston slap. Very common. Pretty sure there is no fix. I've read that it cause little to no damage. My 04 does the same and I don't worry about it. Just make sure you start it and let it warm up before showing it.

Sent from Team Sierra

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
The only real fix is to an overhaul but piston slap when cold isn't a big deal it's when your engine is warm and it's still doing it that it's a problem and will cause excessive wear to the Pistons and cylinder wall

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
its normal, they do that from the factory

·
Registered
878 Posts
My 04 has done it since the day I've owned it. I let it warm up and drive off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has it done it for a long time? mine started doing the same after a night of whooping its ass so I dumped a qt of trans fluid in it, let it idle for like 15 minutes, revved it a couple times and dumped the oil. hasn't really done it since so I'm assuming it was just something plugged up in a lifter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts