GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure its been said somewhere but im going to ask anyway.

What are some good ways to get more power out of the motor for cheap? Ive heard bigger throttle bodies but dont know what kind or where to get, ive even heard taking the screen out of the MAS helps but not sure if its true. Any tips would be great, minus motor swap or boost.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
sigh....

tune
long tube headers
higher stalling torque converter
cam

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking more of budget stuff, for now atleast,more like bolt-on power. minor stuff, i have header that are not installed, want to do a cam and maybe a torque converter but dont have the funds right now

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
well... ok. a tune is kinda bolt on, in theory. headers bolt on. a torque converter bolts in.

but hey, what do i know.

oh and what gears do you have? i bet you need to re-gear

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well... ok. a tune is kinda bolt on, in theory. headers bolt on. a torque converter bolts in.

but hey, what do i know.
yes but a converter requires pulling tranny off, tune maybe and headers yes but like i said i have some just havent installed yet

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
well that Hypertech is a piece of garbage. get a real tune. lots of people on here like Blackbear tuning. i would look into a local dyno tune if you can.

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hear good things about the blackbear tune and i know the hypertech is garbage, all it did is adjust my speedo for bigger tires and got rid of my speed limiter and im trying to find a CAI

Edit: Just ordered a CAI on ebay

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What they have listed is all you really can do:shrug: Long tubes, CAI, Re gear to some better gears, or you can go with nitrous for some good power:read:
and thats why i asked, to see if there was something i didnt know

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
you can p&p your own tb and do the tb bypass........ wont will get much but its cheap
You are right, but don't fill his head with stuff like that. Unless you know what you're doing(and he obviously is clueless) you're probably going to do more harm than good.

The LSx based engines are extremely efficient. This isn't an old TBI motor. They come from the factory in very good form. The manifolds flow well for what they are, the MAF sensor doesn't need to be changed out unless you're making over 600 rwhp. The intake manifold and intake are extremely efficient,etc etc.

There aren't hundreds of different things you can buy for an engine. It's actually a fairly simple machine when you break it down. You can't just go to Home Depot and start throwing plumbing fittings on your truck and expect to make more horsepower.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
do not de-screen your MAF.

What headers do you have?

I never really saw the reason to actually do the TB coolant bypass... I do have a P&P'ed factory TB though. Not sure if there is much benefit to actually have a larger cnc'ed TB over just the modified factory unit... ?

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
You are right, but don't fill his head with stuff like that. Unless you know what you're doing(and he obviously is clueless) you're probably going to do more harm than good.

The LSx based engines are extremely efficient. This isn't an old TBI motor. They come from the factory in very good form. The manifolds flow well for what they are, the MAF sensor doesn't need to be changed out unless you're making over 600 rwhp. The intake manifold and intake are extremely efficient,etc etc.

There aren't hundreds of different things you can buy for an engine. It's actually a fairly simple machine when you break it down. You can't just go to Home Depot and start throwing plumbing fittings on your truck and expect to make more horsepower.

lol he can just make it smooth and shinny then he will see gains on the butt dyno from all the hard work he put in lol:rofljest:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.