GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it cost at your local engine build shop to have 5.3 iron block built up?

Fresh hone, new rings and bearings, and ARP rod bolts, ported oil pump and a custom cam, Truck oil pan, front and rear covers, valley pan and stock harmonic balancer.

I'm thinking of having a motor built up for my truck and was talking to a local engine builder, very well known and respected for his high HP motors. Just wanna know if his price is fair. He's quoting me at 1K, but that doesn't include install or tune. What do you guys think, good value?

·
4,725 Posts
Whats the price include? Everything you ,entioned besides the core longblock? Not bad imo. Id prob build something else for the money.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, all that was previously mentioned, he has a block already. So I would just switch all my components.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Not bad for the work done and parts ... but you could easily grab a stock 5.3 for around 500 or so with decent miles on it and throw a cam in in and ride out just upgraded valvetrain and good to go

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'm gonna have him build it, and then just collect parts as I can to complete it. Some better heads, or port matched heads and an LS6 intake. This is my DD for the most part so down time is critical. I don't have the time to have my motor out to do all of the switch over and install on the new motor.

Can someone explain to me how the computer works. If I put in a new motor but keep the stock computer, does it still need to be flashed? Or will the motor just run?

And with a BBP tune, will the new motor run so I can data log and get a tune? This is where I'm kinda confused.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It might run but if you do heads and cam will not run good with stock computer. With the Black bear tune Justin can send you a new computer and adjust things for all your new mods to make it run right and give you the best performance.

They have a few options of tuning you can do and suggest you check out their website or email him. It does take him a few days to get back to you as he is a very busy man.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts