GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like this to be up for a complete discussion but I'd appreciate if someone could help me out with what it would take to make a 4.8 as quick as a stock 5.3 in equal trucks? Would anyone not buy a truck just because it has a 4.8?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
i have a 00 ext cab SWB chevy 4.8 and it has a flowmaster and K&N o on it and can beat 4 out of 5 of my friends from 0-98 with the same ext truck but 5.3

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the '03s- '04s 5.3 has 10 more horsepower and i think about 20-30 more ft. lbs. or torque.. according to the tahoe brochures (which i lost :pissed: )

Later- Dalton

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i was thinking, im buying a truck here in the next week while the seller gets everything together and gets it smogged, its an 02 2wd reg cab with a 4.8 with a flowmaster catback system and a K&N, i was for sure gettin a tune from nelson, should i expect to really only have competition from the 5.3 reg cabs out on a night cruisin?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, as far as cool air intakes I really don't know my options. I've never looked into them but would Volant be a good way to go for a cool air intake? I went to a website and their price for my truck is $222, is that low, hi, or right on? And how does the volant grab air any cooler than a regular intake? how are the air-ways routed? and does the kit come with everything?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The volant is a complete kit, new airbox, new filter, new tube and hardware. The box is closed and only has a hole on the bottom of the box, under the filter. This is so it doesn't snatch in all the hot air from the engine.

Here's what mine looks like:

see the little tube coming out of the bottom of the box? Thats the only place where air is pulled from. You can also get the optional ram air tube, this is what it looks like with the tube attached:

I would probably just make my own ram air before spending $100+ on their air scoop.

It's a good intake :imo:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, It is kind of sounding like the volant isnt worth it unless you spend the 100+ for the ram air tube which to me makes it not worth it. :blah: Ill probably just buy a k&n system or something with just a heat shield.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
It's still supposed to be one of the better intakes on the market. Everyone who has one here is really happy with it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've had Volant and K&N. You know what, they're both good. If K&N is much cheaper, I would suggest going with it. The Volant was sealed with a nice looking Carbon Fiber cover, but the seal gets worn and eventually you'll end up changing it later. Plus, I had trouble getting a hold of the blue oil to apply to the filter, and I ended up applying the red K&N oil. If I had my choice now, I would go with K&N or Airaid. Nothing stands out about Volant IMO. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is kind of what i was thinking, that if i can find something cheaper i might as well get it because to me it sounds like there isn't much more ill get out of getting a volant intake. Did that carbon fiber cover break or just start lookin crappy??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts