GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tossed together some stuff on DeskTop Dyno tonight. A stock 5.3 vs a
cam'd one vs a heads/cam 402. It's not super accurate but all the info in there is... air flow for the heads, displacment, cam numbers, etc. Pretty nice TQ on the 402.

5.3 - 330hp/395tq
5.3 cam - 400hp/420tq
402 h/c - 505hp/525tq

That's assuming about 9.5:1 compression, pump gas, proper boltons, full exhaust, etc. Cams are pretty tame about 270° intake dur to keep street idle and 114LSAs.

402s.gif

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn, the picture is small (damned Photobucket) but look close...obviously the higher the band the more power there is.

5.3 stock is 190/191 (259/259) .450 114LSA (about)
5.3 cam is a 218/222 (271/275) .560 114LSA

Assume all motors are 2001 models, long tubes with good exhaust. This would be flywheel HP. Assume about 25% powerloss for a built tranny and NO tuning issues like TqMgt or anyshit like that.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Z71mudder said:
25% is kinda high isnt it? Sounds like good numbers IMO.

I'd rather guess less power than too much, 25% sounds reasonable to me for a built tranny. The more shit you have inside, the more it takes to turn it. It could be as low as 18% but it's not going to be anything like 15%...

The numbers are nice for sure, but the torque is kickass! Tons of it and smooth. :anitoof:

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
very nice numbers...now if you were to build me a tranny i'd be able to test out the 402 for the forum :rocking:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zubyc said:
very nice numbers...now if you were to build me a tranny i'd be able to test out the 402 for the forum :rocking:

Man, if I started building them...I'd give 5-10 away for the cost of parts only. That'd get my name out there...right, like I need to do that. :anitoof:

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Man, if I started building them...I'd give 5-10 away for the cost of parts only. That'd get my name out there...right, like I need to do that. :anitoof:
T-56!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats the only way out! :rocking:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shit, if I'm going through the hassle of a T56 swap...

I'd get a 3" body lift and slip an Allison 1000 in there. :shake:

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Shit, if I'm going through the hassle of a T56 swap...

I'd get a 3" body lift and slip an Allison 1000 in there. :shake:

Eh...... How about an Eaton AutoShift?? Im sure it could take the power of the 402! Will 10 forward gears work for you? :anitoof:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hrm... direct swap? :anitoof:

·
Registered
343 Posts
if you have a manual to begin with the t56 is a relatively easy swap

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Hrm... direct swap? :anitoof:
Direct swap........ Dont know about that. Might have to remove part of your floorboards for that baby to fit! :rocking:

Hitman, cant you get ahold of a 4L65 pretty cheap??

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do... build a 4L60E into a 65. :shake:

·
Registered
343 Posts
99Silver5.3 said:
Direct swap........ Dont know about that. Might have to remove part of your floorboards for that baby to fit! :rocking:

Hitman, cant you get ahold of a 4L65 pretty cheap??
nope, fits just fine, some guy on ls1truck did it I believe. All you have to do is cut a new hole in your floor since the shfter is farther back on the t56 than the nv

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
GMCtrk said:
nope, fits just fine, some guy on ls1truck did it I believe. All you have to do is cut a new hole in your floor since the shfter is farther back on the t56 than the nv
Hehe. I was referring ot putting an Eaton auto-shift into a truck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts