GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do u guys know which is faster? I have a 350 and I raced a a NBS truck and beat it by quite a bit. May have had a 4.8. Not sure. Do u guys know?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
assuming both are the same cab/bed setup, same drivetrain and gears, and stock motors. the 5.3 should win if both trucks get a good launch.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
green beast said:
Why? Their smaller displacement. Must have different cam and heads or something.
Vortec 350 = 255 hp, 325 tq
99-02 Vortec 5.3 = 285 hp, 325 tq
03+ Vortec 5.3 = 295 hp, 335 tq

Displacement doesn't tell the whole story these days.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
WHooo knows. Its an entirely new engine from the old 350's, so i dunno. I've got a TBI, I already know I can't beat anything :p

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Vortec 350 has more torque than 325 lb/ft. I think they had 355.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Ross said:
Vortec 350 has more torque than 325 lb/ft. I think they had 355.
no. they have 325

displacement isnt everything. the 5.3 is an LS1 based motor, borrowing many things from the camaro motors. they have no distributers, just a completely different animal. it makes better power in the higher RPMs, and the computers are better(nelson says).

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
All I know is that I wish my motor (5.3) had the low end of a 350. 5.3 likes the higher RPMs which is the main reason why its faster than a 350

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
The new ls1 based engines are just a new platform...one that flows better and have a huge performance background. The gen1 vortec is basically still working off an old block design. In pretty much every way a new v8 GM truck will beat a OBS 5.7 truck. The LS1 based platform overall is just a better design...flows better, injection is better, etc.

Both engines have a ton of capability but unless someone has no idea how to drive a NBS v8 will beat a OBS v8 in stock form.

Cameron

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
my 98 350 woulda spanked my 02 5.3. both in similar setup, but my 98 was a "little" farther from stock than my 02! My current truck woulda spanked my 02, but i dont know, woulda been interesting against my 98. :ninja:

·
Registered
413 Posts
i know that my 2 dr 4x4 tahoe w/ a 5.7 beat a scsb 2wd sierra w/ a 4.8. the other guy's truck had dual flowmasters and had been programmed w/ a hypertech. mine has a single 40 series 2 chamber flowmaster and airraid intake. oh yea and we were both running on 285/75/16's.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
well duh you beat a 4.8 :crazy: thats like me racing a 305 OBS and being proud of the kill :insane:

·
Official Rednek
177 Posts
Dont be trashin the 305! that is wat i got and it will smoke a 350 pretty easy

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
newer motors, newer technology, better efficiency, better heads, cam intake, coil on plug. the list keeps going.

Dan

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 350vortec's have more owend torque.My cousin has an 02 ext.cab with the 5.3 and he has a hypertech programmer,exhaust,volant intake and I take right off the the line and he can not catch up.The new are the best but I give the vortec 350's aot of credit.By the way the 350 vortec have 255hp and 330tq not 325tq.

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
The answer is simple...

Power is made in the heads. Ls1 heads (Especially) and the new truck heads are considered to be one of if not the best flowing stock heads in the industry currently. They are an excellent design, as close to a full hemispherical head as it can get. The vortec 350 is an oldschool truck motor with some new tricks...It's a pretty good motor and I would say it is what started the current truck power war.

The ls1 based motors are just a newer and superior design overall, they have a few problems, but the basic 350 design has been around for ages and the vortec 350 is basically the epitamy of the design.

Ls1 based motors absolutely scream with some mods as well...take the stock heads and do an extrude hone, boltons, and a few other small tidbits and your basically garunteed a good 480 horses. The old 350 is nothing to sneeze at either, with some work.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
vortec350 said:
The 350vortec's have more owend torque.My cousin has an 02 ext.cab with the 5.3 and he has a hypertech programmer,exhaust,volant intake and I take right off the the line and he can not catch up.The new are the best but I give the vortec 350's aot of credit.By the way the 350 vortec have 255hp and 330tq not 325tq.
TOTALLY UNCOMPARABLE :read: not only do you have a ton of mods, but that 93 octane tune ensures that you will beat a basically stock 5.3. and the 3.90 gears are why you got him off the line.

stock for stock the 5.3 is faster at racing. sure the 5.7 vortec might have a lil better lowend, so yeah if you hooked up 8000 pound trailers then it will win, but that would be a boring race :crazy:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts