GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at new trucks right now. Im almost positive Im gonna go w/ a 04 rc/sb Dodge Ram 2wd w/ the Hemi. But, Chevy would definately be next if this particular deal falls through. I was just curious, what kind of rwhp numbers do the 5.3s put down? How about rwtq also? Also, what kinda numbers do the 4.8s put down? I know the 5.3s are rated at 285hp and the 4.8s at 270hp, but just wondered what they put down stock? What about w/ a couple common mods like Air Intake and Exhaust? Thanks for the info.

Will

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so about a 23% drivetrain loss it would appear. that would put the 4.8s at about 205 - 210rwhp if they do the same. thats not too bad, a little less than I was expecting but respectable to say the least.

·
Loves yoga pants
2,412 Posts
Z71Trader said:
so about a 23% drivetrain loss it would appear. that would put the 4.8s at about 205 - 210rwhp if they do the same. thats not too bad, a little less than I was expecting but respectable to say the least.
My buddy has a 02 5.3 ecsb...his mods include:

Shorty headers
K&n FIPK
Predator programmer
Cat-back gibson exhaust

Everything else is stock...tires, wheels, gears 3.73:1 and all...etc

He dynoed his truck last weekend with 3 passes on the Mustang brand dyno, i believe...

269 rwHP and 306 ft/lb with minor adjustments to the air fuel ratio of a 5% change in the a.f.r.

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice, i figured theyd respond pretty good to mods!

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, but dang, its tough to looks past those 345hp under the hood of that Dodge!<-:) And, no offense to anybody who likes it, to each his own, but I just dont really care for the new looks of the GM trucks. I like the Chevy better than GMC, but even Fords new design is better IMO as far as looks go.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
the new 04 fords look good with a 6 inch lift and 35s. stock they look funky with puny tires and tall body.

as for the dodge, they are nice trucks, but dont let that 345 hp fool you. it sounds like you have driven one, have you felt how much torque management they have? A TON and it makes them slugs. my buddy has the exact truck you are looking at and its not that fast. sure as hell is not 345 hp fast. it doesnt feel any faster than mine honestly.

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, i have driven one. it felt stronger than my gmc stock vs stock. i will agree the tm kills them for sure, but i was able to roast the tires pretty good. i think what makes them feel slower is the fact that they have and probly always will be porky, i think a rc dodge weighs as much as an ec chevrolet, and weight kills. i was impressed by the fit and finish of the interior and the 260 - 275rwhp numbers ive seen though. most new designs of any kind take a while to grow on me, i hated the new dodges when they came out but actually think the sports are really sharp now. i actually like the new ford from their intro. but still even after a year, i just cant get past the sharp edge styling of the chevys and the new bumpers and gaps on the gmcs.

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stephen, yeah, ive seen those too. i saw a couple 220rwhp runs and a few 250ish runs, but the majority seem to be between 262-276. im also pretty sure those low runs were corrected by a reflash of the pcm. they had some problems w/ the early HEMIs w/ all kinds of electrical quirks and glitches but seem to have that all ironed out other than the horrible tqm!

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
if they really made 345 at the fly wheel then shouldnt they put 275 to the ground at least? something doesnt add up with them. they simply dont make power at the wheels

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, i feel like a sales rep! lol, i have been lookin at them pretty close though. consider this, a 285hp 5.3 puts down 215-220hp which is essentially around a 23-24% drivetrain loss. a 345hp engine at that same percentage will lose more since the number is higher, so a 345hp engine losing 23-24% should put down around 260-265hp which is actually right around or a little less as most seem to see right at 270. keep in mind the power robbing dodge transmissions too. so all in all, they actually are quite similar in % drivetrain loss.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
i guess fairly similar suspensions.

i love the new ram interior. i really like my buddies. but the transmissions are total peices of junk. having the insane amount of TM that they do just proves that they cant even hold up to the motor in stock form. i would be most worried about the tranny going out with the dodge.

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep, you pinned my greatest concern right there, tranny. ive heard "rumors" that these new trannys can supposively handle 600hp, but seriously doubt that. Thats why i like that 7/70k warranty, drive it like you stole and hope it breaks before then. lol I think the tranny and sports carish torque specs are probly really what makes the HEMI not seem as fast as it really is.

Yeah, i think the interior is really nice. factory white face guages, and a power seat are definately nice touches to a reg cab.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
plus the cabs are HUGE. and the space behind the reg cab seat is giant, plenty of room for subs and amps :D

and i doubt they can handle 600hp if htey cant handle 345...........

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, when i looked behind the seat of the one i test drove and will hopefully get, i was like damn! it was freakin huge, i could put a couple 15s behind there, i wont, but its nice to think you could.

and a big yessir again on the trannys, definately not a strong point for dodge.

do any of yall know what kinda torque numbers the 5.3s put to the wheels? i dont even know the factory flywheel numbers?

Edit: also, wouldnt the same 23%ish figure apply to the torque specs too?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Z71Trader said:
do any of yall know what kinda torque numbers the 5.3s put to the wheels? i dont even know the factory flywheel numbers?

Edit: also, wouldnt the same 23%ish figure apply to the torque specs too?
hmm i THINK its 325 ft/lbs at the flywheel, lemme look around on ls1tech for the rwtq

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
this is from ls1tech,

I just had my '03 Silverado 4x4, 5.3 dynoed. Bone stock it pulled 241 rwhp and 267 rwtq. I installed a K&N cold air kit and Gibson exhaust, and tuned it with truck edit. I came up with 264 rwhp and 298 rwtq. We firmed up the shifts and changed the shift points in the trans. What a difference over the stock setup. Can't wait to race my brothers '03 Hemi Ram.
03' Z71 ECSB 5.3 W/3.73 *BONE STOCK* 780 MILES
I installed the Predator to up the speed limiter and shift points and redynoed today.The limiter is at 120mph and still is not enough. I know i can unhook the vss but i don't want to mess with that,i'll get the program raised.
236.2rwhp @ 5150ish
274.9rwtq @ 4150ish
there are two cases, and there are many more.........

bottom line, the 5.3 spanks the HEMI :naughty:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts