GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over Christmas Break, we started the install on my girlfriends 91XJ. It is a 5.5" Rubicon Express Long-Arm kit, with SYE, Tom Woods shaft, 33x12.50 BFG MTs and 15x10 black steelies. Figured you guys might be interested in some install pictures.

Just a few boxes....
EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07040.jpg

Some of the old parts compared to the new:
EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07101.jpg

EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07103.jpg

EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07039.jpg

Some of the install pictures:
EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07064.jpg

EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07076.jpg

EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07105.jpg

EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07124.jpg

EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07135.jpg

Stubborn bushing:
EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07094.jpg

Welding the new crossmember, done by a professional welder, for free. It was amazing to watch him weld overhead, with no gloves, and with a significant draft. :worship:
EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07112.jpg

SYE install:
EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07003.jpg

EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07005.jpg

Nice HF pitman arm puller, made a DAMN loud pop when it went.
EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07129.jpg

Finished Tom Woods shaft:
EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07024.jpg

EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07023.jpg

Finished product:
EmsXJLiftInstallDec06-Feb07015.jpg

Tires008.jpg

Tires009.jpg

Wheeling pictures will come over Spring Break.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
what, no poser flex shots? or are you gonna be REALLY cool like all the IFS guys and start your own thread about it flexing on a curb or SMALL stump or the like!?!? :jester:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what, no poser flex shots? or are you gonna be REALLY cool like all the IFS guys and start your own thread about it flexing on a curb or SMALL stump or the like!?!? :jester:
Haha it rubs BAD just driving it around, we tried flexing it on a pile of dirt, it wasn't a good day for those new BFGs. Some cut-out flares are currently on order I believe, should fix the problem hopefully.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nice, RE is good stuff...I'd like a 4.5 kit on my ZJ.

One of my friends had an '88 on 6" on 33s and still rubbed off-road, he just took the flares off and cut a little bit all around the fenders...got him by for a while.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, RE is good stuff...I'd like a 4.5 kit on my ZJ.

One of my friends had an '88 on 6" on 33s and still rubbed off-road, he just took the flares off and cut a little bit all around the fenders...got him by for a while.
Ya the flares that are to come are from Rusty's Offroad, I think they require that you cut quite a bit of the fenders, we'll see soon enough if it works or not.

Your girlfriend is into wheeling?
That she is.

She's a keeper. :imo
Haha yes, she sure is.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Ive actually installed one of those kits as well, just my friend went with the Hack n Tap SYE and stuffed 35 BFG M/T's with while trimming the fenders above the stock flare holes. Glad you went with the new main shaft SYE, the Hack N tap was hokey.

Are those the ears of a Chrys8.25 I see? Thought about getting new spiders and going to the 97+(IIRC) 29 spline shafts?

Looks nice, you need to take her out wheeling with your Blazer now:rocking:

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
How hard was the SYE kit to install? any trouble crackin open the T-case? I need to do one on my YJ. Also did the driveshaft come with the kit?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive actually installed one of those kits as well, just my friend went with the Hack n Tap SYE and stuffed 35 BFG M/T's with while trimming the fenders above the stock flare holes. Glad you went with the new main shaft SYE, the Hack N tap was hokey.

Are those the ears of a Chrys8.25 I see? Thought about getting new spiders and going to the 97+(IIRC) 29 spline shafts?

Looks nice, you need to take her out wheeling with your Blazer now:rocking:
Yes that is an 8.25, and I have not looked into the new spiders and shafts idea at all. Is it a much needed upgrade? Her dad was talking about looking into a 44 swap but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Any idea on what gears these came with from the factory? I've looked at Jeep forums, but have found so many different "answers" it's ridiculous.

And yes, over Spring Break we will visit Hollister with her XJ, my Blazer, my friend's Bronco, and maybe my other friends CJ. I can't wait to see how it does!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How hard was the SYE kit to install? any trouble crackin open the T-case? I need to do one on my YJ. Also did the driveshaft come with the kit?
The case was a PITA to open up, but the actual install wasn't too bad. Her brother has a 92 YJ, with the same NP231 case, and his was much easier, due to the fact that the case itself is so much easier to access. As you can see in the pictures, that unibody really hugs the transmission/case. And no, the shaft was a seperate(and not cheap) purchase. Her brother also has a TW shaft, they are very nicely built :imo . He's had no problems, and wheels it quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
The case was a PITA to open up, but the actual install wasn't too bad. Her brother has a 92 YJ, with the same NP231 case, and his was much easier, due to the fact that the case itself is so much easier to access. As you can see in the pictures, that unibody really hugs the transmission/case. And no, the shaft was a seperate(and not cheap) purchase. Her brother also has a TW shaft, they are very nicely built . He's had no problems, and wheels it quite a bit.

Mine is actually a 92 also. I hope its as easy as his was. The thing looks sweet now cant wait for some wheelin pics.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
231's and 241's are pretty simple to open up and play with, the only pain being the snap rings, I hate those things.

Most all XJ auto's have 3.55's stock.

The shaft upgrade isn't required, but its nice and really cheap to do if you have a JY near you with a later model XJ with an 8.25. Heck, just grabbing the whole housing and dumping it under the other one would prbably be nice being the 91 probably has a decent amount of miles and its a cheap way to beat out the rear end rebuild that always happens down the road. I had to rebuild our 96's D35 rear as the parents didn't want to swap in a JY rear and just run it.

My buddy did the 27 to 29 spline conv. but then he got his hands on the rare XJ D44 and built that up with some 4.56's and regeared his D30 to the same to trun his 33's(which used to be my 33's, lol). Its just an interim if you plan to use it decently.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
231's and 241's are pretty simple to open up and play with, the only pain being the snap rings, I hate those things.

Most all XJ auto's have 3.55's stock.

The shaft upgrade isn't required, but its nice and really cheap to do if you have a JY near you with a later model XJ with an 8.25. Heck, just grabbing the whole housing and dumping it under the other one would prbably be nice being the 91 probably has a decent amount of miles and its a cheap way to beat out the rear end rebuild that always happens down the road. I had to rebuild our 96's D35 rear as the parents didn't want to swap in a JY rear and just run it.

My buddy did the 27 to 29 spline conv. but then he got his hands on the rare XJ D44 and built that up with some 4.56's and regeared his D30 to the same to trun his 33's(which used to be my 33's, lol). Its just an interim if you plan to use it decently.

Ok cool, I will keep my eyes open for an 8.25 from a late model XJ when I visit the local yards over break. Thanks for the info. Hers actually only has 93k miles on it, hell of a find. Her brother is currently looking into an 8.8 swap on his YJ, so I'm sure he'll be spending plenty of time at the JYs around here in the next month or so, I'll let him know about the possible upgrade for the Cherokee. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
i got a 93 xj with the 3.5 re all cut up and 31s and with the stock 3.55s its such a dog going to the mountain. ive got it all cleaned up with tj flares and am going to sell it and get an old staight axle 4runner since those either came with 4.88 or 5.10s from the factory. way better for wheeling, bigger tires, and going to the mountain. th only thing i love about the cherokee is the look of them all lifted and 4.0 other than that i hate it. lol

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got a 93 xj with the 3.5 re all cut up and 31s and with the stock 3.55s its such a dog going to the mountain. ive got it all cleaned up with tj flares and am going to sell it and get an old staight axle 4runner since those either came with 4.88 or 5.10s from the factory. way better for wheeling, bigger tires, and going to the mountain. th only thing i love about the cherokee is the look of them all lifted and 4.0 other than that i hate it. lol
You're selling it because you don't like the gears? You can re-gear axles you know....

And my sister has a 93 ZJ with the 4.0 and 30" tires, it's not a "dog" in the mountains by any means, just likes to settle down in 3rd gear up the steeper slopes at highways speeds. Turns at 3400 for 30 seconds or whatever, but gets the job done just as well as my truck did with a Vortec 350 and 33s.....

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
5.10's factory in a Yota, yea, ok...

The best your going to do is like 4.87 with a a 22RE with an auto and some 31's stock. Eitherway its only geared so deep because the 22re doesn't produce much power, which is part of the reason they last forever, and the tires are bigger than normal. Sound familiar?

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
dont talk shit on my skillzzzzz :crazy:

casey, she have a good lookin sister with similar characteristics? :D

·
Chevy Owner
1,363 Posts
Nice Cherokee man. We put a lift on my buddies 98 last winter, overall went on pretty easy. Started out life as a 4.5" Teraflex LA Kit...then in the middle of the install that before he orders tires, instead of running some 31's, he wanted to run 33's. So, we slap a coil spacer kit on it, along with a 3" Block kit for the rear to get him by. Since then, He now has 6" leaf packs on order along with 6.5" front coils from Rusty's...and he's getting new driveshafts soon. He's on my myspace page if anybody wants to check out pics...his name is Jeff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts