GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
GMC Owner
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looked around for it... didnt see it, so here it is.

1997 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 ECSB 1500
5.7L Vortec.

Parts needed for silencer delete:
flat head screwdriver.
socket set.
2" Fernco or equivalent rubber pvc plug with wormgear.

As you OBS owners know, there is a big box behind the throttle body with the words 'VORTEC' popping up off the top, right? Right. Well it is said that all this little box does is silence the air coming into the throttle body. Removing this is said to improve gas mileage.

Well you get yourself a flat head screwdriver, and unscrew that wormgear holding on that silly box onto your tb lid. search around a little bit and grab the correct socket to unbolt the box from the top of the intake.

Then you need to grab your rubber cap. i used a plastic cap initially. don't do it. the thing came off during the test drive and there was no power whatso ever when i went to jump on it. so use the rubber cap. do it. you must.

it will look like this, but with a rubber end instead of a plastic end:
DSCN0442.gif

DSCN0446.gif

This is basically for a cleaner look, and making the incoming air louder.

·
Matt.719
301 Posts
So the point is to try to get better gas mileage and making it louder?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
LOL, did you put a rubber hose clamp on a pvc cap? If so you're a fucking idiot.

·
Matt.719
301 Posts
HAHAHAHA I thought it looked kinda half ass'ed I just didn't wanna say anything

·
GMC Owner
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used a plastic cap initially. don't do it. the thing came off during the test drive and there was no power whatso ever when i went to jump on it. so use the rubber cap. do it. you must.
why do you think i said this? cuz i went off what i knew at first, but there is a rubber cap on it now. it wasnt being half ass, it was because i didnt know. live and learn i guess.

So the point is to try to get better gas mileage and making it louder?
the point was to get better gas mileage, it just sounds louder as a result.

·
hi how ya doin
29 Posts
i cut mine down and used fiberglass it looks a hell of alot better almost like they should have done in the factory years ago

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
why do you think i said this? cuz i went off what i knew at first, but there is a rubber cap on it now. it wasnt being half ass, it was because i didnt know. live and learn i guess.

the point was to get better gas mileage, it just sounds louder as a result.
Did you expect the hose clamp to tighten the pvc down? That's like using a zip tie instead of wheel lug nuts.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Did you expect the hose clamp to tighten the pvc down? That's like using a zip tie instead of wheel lug nuts.
ahhh come on man. Give the guy a break. He was just trying to share some info. We all make mistakes, this is how we learn. :shake:

Mr. 960

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
ahhh come on man. Give the guy a break. He was just trying to share some info. We all make mistakes, this is how we learn. :shake:

Mr. 960
When I fuck up I fully expect people to laugh at/with me. Especially when it's something like this.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
you should clean the engine instead of wasting time on a useless "mod"

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Any hardware store.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
I did something similar when I took the flex heat hose off the bottom side of my TBI intake. Although I cut a piece of aluminum and jb welded it in place. Cant even see it unless you take the intake off and flip it upside down.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts