GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I currently have an 08 1500 Silverado with a 2 inch RC leveling kit, 17x8.5 Fuel Trophy rims and 265x70r17 Toyo MT's. I am going to put 35x12.5r17 Toyo MT's on with the Fuel rims and I was curious as to whether I should get an RCX 5 or 6.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey guys,

I currently have an 08 1500 Silverado with a 2 inch RC leveling kit, 17x8.5 Fuel Trophy rims and 265x70r17 Toyo MT's. I am going to put 35x12.5r17 Toyo MT's on with the Fuel rims and I was curious as to whether I should get an RCX 5 or 6.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
As far as the lift goes it would honestly be preference on how high you want the truck to sit. The 5 will give you the best cv angles and avoid excessive front end wear. Due to it being a full drop. The 6 inch kit is not a bad option either because it doesn't stretch the front end out anymore than a modest leveling kit.

In my opinion I would avoid the 35's because they will be a tight fit with either lift. You'll also find that gears are basically a necessity with a 35. unless you are hell bent on 35's, a solid option for these trucks is the 5 inch RCX and 33's. Looks good, is still practical, and the loss of drivability is minimal. If 35's are a must, a good option is a small body lift with the 5 or 6 inch RCX. Avoid the 7.5" lift. I have the 7.5 and 35's on stock 20's and still rub.

Best advice is to do some searching on this forum and look at what others have done. there is a wealth of knowledge here.

·
Married and broke
1,854 Posts
Too bad your not on the east coast. I have a new RCX 7.5 kit for $750. I bought it and changed direction with my truck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I currently have the RCX 5" on my truck and the RCX 6" upgrade kit sitting in my closet waiting to be installed. If this helps, after measuring the blocks and spacers it looks like the 6" kit will provide an extra 1.25" in the rear and a full 2" in the front over the 5" kit. The RCX 5 leaves about an inch of rake on my truck so I'm thinking the RCX 6 should sit pretty level.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What about some 285/75r17 MT's. Would those be a stretch with the 5?
I have 305/65R18's which are 33.5" and just barely get a little rub at full lock. Those 285/75R17's are 33.8" so with just the RCX 5" on the stock wheels you'll probably need to either do a little plastic trimming, or get a set of Bilsteins or TGC spacers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 285's would probably work. I agree though, you probably will have to do some trimming. The other thing to consider if you're still stuck between the 5 or 6 inch is the anti-wrap block that comes with the 6 inch kit. The regular blocks are better imo. If your wanting the one inch bump in the front a tgc spacer or bilsteins would work, and would actually make the truck sit more level. As stated above the 5 inch gives the truck a little bit of a rake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 285's would probably work. I agree though, you probably will have to do some trimming. The other thing to consider if you're still stuck between the 5 or 6 inch is the anti-wrap block that comes with the 6 inch kit. The regular blocks are better imo. If your wanting the one inch bump in the front a tgc spacer or bilsteins would work, and would actually make the truck sit more level. As stated above the 5 inch gives the truck a little bit of a rake.
I already have the RC 2 inch leveling kit, would that be too much to stack on a 5 in terms of CV angles and what not?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I already have the RC 2 inch leveling kit, would that be too much to stack on a 5 in terms of CV angles and what not?
Your cv angles would be exactly the same as they are now. The 5 is a full drop so it makes your angles flat as if the truck was factory. With the 2 inch level you'd be back to where you are now... but if it is a top spacer I would highly recommend not stacking it(as in do not do it). You only want to use a spacer with a lift if it is a bottom spacer. 2 inches stacked(lower spacer) on the 5 kit is the most you want to do. 2.5 or higher is too much and will make cv angles no bueno.

·
Registered
74 Posts
By the way I realize people reading this thread are probably looking at my sig and wondering why i'm basically dogging my own setup... the 7.5" is coming off of my truck for the 5" very soon. I posted a thread last week of the parts I have waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
17s may or may not fit without spacers. Something to look into.

Also the 6 and 7.5 have to cut off the stops if I remember correctly where the 5" does not. Not sure what would happen if you add the 2" bottom to the 5".

I'm curious myself because I run 17s in the winter and want to run the 5" kit with 2" bottom spacer on 305/5520s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts