GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89SS and want to put '03 "SS" wheels on it. I would rather not run adapters since they are so wide allready. Has anyone seen the 5 lug setup changed over to a 6 lug. I know I would need new rotors, and drums maybe even spindel's (gonna get drop spindels anyway)

Thanks for any input,

Big John

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts
Hmmm , I dont know if it will work ..

On the 98 and before the spindle was on top of the lower control arm ,99+ are under the Control arm ...

Might want to do some research before trying it ...

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts
I havent heard of anybody doing it , but im guessing you could probably just take the Control Arms , spindles , rotors , and calipers off the front .. Then take a rearend out of a 99+ and stick it in your truck , but this is only a guess .. If you have access to both types of truck , look how far apart the area where the a Control arms bolt to the frame , see if it is the same .. See if the rearends are the same length and bolt up the same ..

It just takes money , anything is possible .. :D

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
SierraSport said:
I havent heard of anybody doing it , but im guessing you could probably just take the Control Arms , spindles , rotors , and calipers off the front .. Then take a rearend out of a 99+ and stick it in your truck , but this is only a guess .. If you have access to both types of truck , look how far apart the area where the a Control arms bolt to the frame , see if it is the same .. See if the rearends are the same length and bolt up the same ..

It just takes money , anything is possible .. :D
you might actually have more luck looking at mini forums. I remeber reading awhile back in street trucks what it would be necessary to swap some mini from a 4 lug to a 5. I'm just guessing it would be similar.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
A NBS to OBS swap won't really work. The suspension geometry and mounting points are different. It wouldn't align right. If you did a rear end swap you'd need to narrow the 99+ rear as I believe it is wider than the OBS rears. You'd be better off trying to find a 6 lug rear from a 88-98 4x4 and do a disk kit if you wanna ditch the drums. I've seen some people swap on some 6 lug rotors with some hub sleeves but I don't know the specifics on the swap. Like mentioned above I'd search some mini forums...they do swaps like this quite often. Good call on avoiding the spacers. I think the lug swap up front would be easier done by getting a new set of rotors and have a machine shop do the work to remove the stock 5 studs and lay out a 6 lug setup. That would be the easiest way IMO without re-engineering your front suspension completely. I've seen a few do this lug machining and have had no problems.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Also, 88-98 chevy 3/4 ton light duties have a 6 lug pattern. The heavy duty has an 8 lug, but light duty has 6. I dunno if this helps or not.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong fellas, but aren't the 98 and older rims deep dish, and the new body styles aren't????????? well i know the news aren't.. so a 5-6 lug adapter might make up for the change in back spacing on the new rimbos. NOT 100% on this though. i'll check it out tonight. :think:

·
Scooter
550 Posts
you cant swap suspension.. the best bet would be tro run adpaters becuase if you did convert to a 6 lug configuration you would have to run wheel spacers due to the wheels offset on the 99-up trucks. 88-98 tend to have more back spacing.... so if i were you i would go with adparters. i ran some on my truck never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Physh1 said:
A NBS to OBS swap won't really work. The suspension geometry and mounting points are different. It wouldn't align right. If you did a rear end swap you'd need to narrow the 99+ rear as I believe it is wider than the OBS rears. You'd be better off trying to find a 6 lug rear from a 88-98 4x4 and do a disk kit if you wanna ditch the drums. I've seen some people swap on some 6 lug rotors with some hub sleeves but I don't know the specifics on the swap. Like mentioned above I'd search some mini forums...they do swaps like this quite often. Good call on avoiding the spacers. I think the lug swap up front would be easier done by getting a new set of rotors and have a machine shop do the work to remove the stock 5 studs and lay out a 6 lug setup. That would be the easiest way IMO without re-engineering your front suspension completely. I've seen a few do this lug machining and have had no problems.

Cameron
That was gonna be my suggestion. I've seen a number of minies go from 4 or 6 lug to 5 lug. Personally, I'd find some wheels that work with your current set up. That's alot of hassel for a factory wheel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its the fact that the wheel I want to run on it is a factory wheel just not for the year I want.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'd make sure than that the wheels have the right backspace to clear everything right. It'd be a real bitch to buy the wheels, have everything machined and find out they don't fit. That's my biggest reason for suggesting finding wheels that work on your truck. Good luck if you go for it.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Beyond Static said:
Also, 88-98 chevy 3/4 ton light duties have a 6 lug pattern. The heavy duty has an 8 lug, but light duty has 6. I dunno if this helps or not.
If I were to do this, I'd try this approach. I'm not certain, but I think the spindles, rotors, and brakes from a LD 3/4 will bolt right in. I think they have bigger rotors and calipers too. You could get a rear axle from a 1/2 4x4, or if you want a beefier rear axle take the one from the LD 3/4, but that might create driveshaft compatibilty issues. I've seen OBS 4x4s with NBS style wheels around here, so back spacing might not be such a problem, but it's best to find some one with SS wheels and measure first. Even so, IMO most 6 lug wheel designs look better than the comparable 5 lug wheel.

I say go for it, you'd be the innovator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts