121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I like it

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Not sure how I missed this thread every time, but man that's amazing work. I wish I had the kind of skills you have to do that level of modifications.

·
Administrator
3,387 Posts
So let me ask you a question. From the pics, it looks like you're painting these parts outside. If that's the case, any tips and tricks for dirt, dust, bugs and such from getting in the paint? I've got a large dually that I'm going to be painting which is why I ask. My dad has offered up his garage so I may do that but I've also tossed around painting it outside. Your truck will be WAY nicer than mine so I'm thinking that if your painting is good enough for your really nice build then it's probably good for my pile of parts LOL

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Yeah I'm painting outside. Big parts I paint under a canopy wrapped in plastic. To keep dust down wet the area down really good. Remember tack between coats of your base coat (if doing basecoat clear) and of course you can't tack between clear but any dirt or bugs that get in the clear can be wet sanded out so put enough clear. I do at least 3 coats of clear.

·
Administrator
3,387 Posts
Yeah I'm painting outside. Big parts I paint under a canopy wrapped in plastic. To keep dust down wet the area down really good. Remember tack between coats of your base coat (if doing basecoat clear) and of course you can't tack between clear but any dirt or bugs that get in the clear can be wet sanded out so put enough clear. I do at least 3 coats of clear.
Good tips. Thanks, man :)

·
n. fil-dert.
7,067 Posts
I have painted several vehicles in my driveway and did all of the above. Also wait for a really calm day, most overspray will dry before it hits your neighbors house but they still don’t like it :)

Reactions: 07Burb

·
General Nuisance
133 Posts
You sir are a master at your work. Gorgeous truck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Awesome work! id love to get my hands on an older truck like this. You have done every mod very tastefully, and classy. Keep up the good work my friend!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I had a major set back on the project. I had it to the point of test driving it around the neighborhood and everything was going fine and I was about to start the prep for the bed and notice when I removed some tape from the doors the clear came off with it. So I started putting tape all over the truck and snatching the tape off and it was just the doors that it was happening on. Then I remembered I used some Universal Clear that was recommended but I guess it did not like my basecoat. I could not find the clear I usually used locally. So I sanded the doors and scuffed the rest of the truck (the good areas) and repainted the whole thing to ensure I don't have any more issues.

Here is my makeshift paint booth

Repainted

Got things back together

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Got the seat back today.
Here is a before pic and you can see the marks made on the seat of the changes I wanted made. I also had the seat back cut down about an inch so that is not stick up when you look through the big back window (its a pet peeve of mine).

Close up

Well I got the headliner installed. I did it a little differently because I did not want that black gasket that goes around it.

Here is a pic of the seat installed as you can see I had the seat back cut down about an inch so that is not sticking up when you look through the big back window. Like I said that is a pet peeve of mine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I had to move the truck the garage to start work on the bed so I drove it around the block first and took some more pics.

Here are some pics of the work I've done to the bed. I completely welded the bed and added a inner panel to smooth everything out.
I installed tubs and did a little metal fab to make a smooth transition to the angle strips.

I also smooth the tailgate and installed a 57 Chevy third brake light.

Now to grind more welds and start block sanding.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts