GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 classic HD and I have 1800 miles on it and i was just wondering how long the break in period is. thanks :bowtie:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
You're past it. Can do the first oil change now, too, if not already. Happy motoring.

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
I have a 2007 classic HD and I have 1800 miles on it and i was just wondering how long the break in period is. thanks :bowtie:
Break In on any engine, new or rebuilt should be 500 miles. Just make sure you don't beat it before then. After 500, change your oil and mash the pedal at will.

·
Texas Born & Raised!
4,536 Posts
Mines got 500 miles and I'm drivin it like I stole it... :evil:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Should have changed the oil a few times already looking for foreign matter.

Hope you goosed it at least a few times when it was new to help seat the rings.

·
Texas Born & Raised!
4,536 Posts
Should have changed the oil a few times already looking for foreign matter.

Hope you goosed it at least a few times when it was new to help seat the rings.
See I was told to beat on it for the first 1,000 miles and then have it changed to make sure everything was hunky dory...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
See I was told to beat on it for the first 1,000 miles and then have it changed to make sure everything was hunky dory...

Rings seat quick. Within about 10-15miles from when the motor is first started as I understand.

When I start new motors, I change the oil after going up and down the street a few times to seat the rings (obviously after verifying oil pressure and coolant levels). This will allow you to see if you have any large metal filings or anything that would cause issues.

Then continue driving normal after the rings are done. I'd do another oil change around 500 miles and another around 1500... again, just to verify nothing out of the ordinary is going on.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the information guys. Hulk, i posted my truck in your thread and i hope you liked it! show us yours!!!!!!!:head:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
When I changed the old in the new truck, I had some slight metal build up on the magnetic drain plugs. Nothing now.

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
Rings seat quick. Within about 10-15miles from when the motor is first started as I understand.

When I start new motors, I change the oil after going up and down the street a few times to seat the rings (obviously after verifying oil pressure and coolant levels). This will allow you to see if you have any large metal filings or anything that would cause issues.

Then continue driving normal after the rings are done. I'd do another oil change around 500 miles and another around 1500... again, just to verify nothing out of the ordinary is going on.
When I did the 200ci inline 6 in my sister's 64.5 Mustang we broke it in at about 1500 for 15 minutes to get everything seated, and then changed the oil. In my other post I was mentioning more off the truck type break-in stuff, like 500 miles and change the oil.
Anyway you look at it, if it blows up it's still under warranty right?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Anyway you look at it, if it blows up it's still under warranty right?

Exactly. Chances are very slim that it will, and if it does not, you want the motor to perform it's best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts