GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at possibly getting an 03-06 3/4 chevy truck. im trying to weigh my options between gas or diesel. THe duramax is what i would rather have but i can't find a good one for less than $20k. So how do they compare towing and unloaded. Im really just looking for the best fuel mileage to pull my 8000lb camper.

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
Diesel. No comparison.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
diesel will give you the mileage. dont limit yourself to just those 2 choices tho...theres one other that im still absolutely in love with.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Diesel

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just thought I would show you this. If you were in Cali it would be a great time to buy a truck. This one is nice.

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=174961

2005 Chevy Dually,
4WD
32,000 miles
Long bed
Crew cab
8.1L / Allison
Leather
Power everything
Sprayed bed liner
Seating for 6

The truck was mainly used for glamis to tow our WW, but now we have a moho and trailer and now the truck just sits. The truck tows great and is in great shape and needs nothing.$ 21,000

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've got a gasser and . . . I'm wishing that I would have bought a diesel

I've got an 04 CCSB, 6.0, 285 tires . . . when I'm pulling the 4200K boat, I'm getting 8-10mpg.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I got my 6.0 and I am happy. We could all use a lil more power, but hey I paid less money, it gets my towing needs done, and it keeps ticking just fine. You have to ask yourself will you justify the NEED for a diesel? If not get a gasser.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,898 Posts
I love my 8.1. No regrets.

It still pulls great and I'm lifted with 37's on stock gearing. Sure it'd be a blast with 4.56s/4.88s (eventually). But, its still damn strong the way it is with the Blackbear tune.

I'd love to have a HD Crewcab truck for daily driving and I would love a Duramax as well, just for the fun factor. But, my 06' CC (5.3) does a fairly decent job pulling my enclosed 6x12' trailer daily and my 6x10' dump trailer occassionally. So, I'd imagine with a tune/intake/exhaust a 6.0 truck would do fine.

Also, on the mpgs part, I've heard that the 6.0's don't do much better than the 8.1 trucks. Not when you compare the extra power on tap vs. the small gain in mpgs. A 6.0 pulling a heavy load is gonna work alot harder and burn more fuel anyway.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I say diesel.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
theres no real comparison between the two. especially if your running big tires or towing a heavy load. stock vs stock unloaded isnt that big of a difference tho.

wat are your plans for the truck? are you lifting it and how much u plan on towing?

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
change your choice to 04.5+ you'll have less issues and more choices.

oh and diesel FTW! that's a tough comparison.

·
Hella
918 Posts
The best glimpse of a 2500HD Diesel I get is in my rearview mirror....

I don't tow anything, but anything 5th wheel related Id probably opt for the diesel...

DESLLOL

1 - 20 of 123 Posts