GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up another truck, found it locally for a great price I couldn't refuse.

It's an 06 Sierra Denali AWD fully loaded with just under 100mi on the clock. It's in great shape minus a rusty rear bumper. Previous owner used it for towing occasionally and had a bunch of work done to it in 2013. Just wondering how it all stacks up and what kinda real world numbers its making.

The truck came with all the receipts for the engine/tranny work and it was done at a reputable shop locally, Moretto Motorsportz - Home

Here's the specs:
6.0L LQ9 Vortec Max
American Racing 1 3/4" x 3" Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flow Cats
Fast LSXrt 102mm Intake Manifold
Fast Fuel Rail
Torque Rush X-Link Adapter
AFE Intake
MMZ Corvette Throttle Body
MMZ Custom Premium Fuel Tune
Rebuilt 4L65E with upgraded lube pump, 3/4 clutches and baskets.

The truck runs and drives great, feels like it has plenty of jam... especially with the 4:10 gearing. Tranny shifts good with no flares but feels very firm. Sounds ok, but i'm surprised they left the stock muffler in place.

Here's a few pics:

_20-10_zpsuojegojf.jpg

_20-9_zpsfy853obr.jpg

_20-7_zpsewyyrc5u.jpg

_20-6_zpstvbvpqwx.jpg

_20-5_zpsft4jzj6v.jpg

_20-3_zpsr0hreurk.jpg

Running boards have to go, and it needs the front windows tinted. Other than some new wheels I might black out the front grill in the spring. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Put a new exhaust on it. 3 inch in and out magnaflow would be great. An 18 inch casing wouldnt be bad at all. You should upgrade the exhaust first because you have a lot of power and a free flowing exhaust would help it out. Is it tuned? If not get a blackbear or a nelson tune. Does the tranny have a vette servo and shift kit? If not add those. All i would do is change the wheels, clear headlights, hids, and led everything since thats a nice truck. I think that truck should be making about 400 hp at the crank which is 300 hp at the wheels. Not to bad at all.

My bad I saw you have a tune so your making more than 400 hp at the crank and 300 hp at the wheels

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yeah with the Fast intake and long tubes the stock exhaust is the only bottleneck. A Big cam would make it a monster.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's factory. Some trucks have it, some don't. I have no idea what it does

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put a new exhaust on it. 3 inch in and out magnaflow would be great. An 18 inch casing wouldnt be bad at all. You should upgrade the exhaust first because you have a lot of power and a free flowing exhaust would help it out. Is it tuned? If not get a blackbear or a nelson tune. Does the tranny have a vette servo and shift kit? If not add those. All i would do is change the wheels, clear headlights, hids, and led everything since thats a nice truck. I think that truck should be making about 400 hp at the crank which is 300 hp at the wheels. Not to bad at all.

My bad I saw you have a tune so your making more than 400 hp at the crank and 300 hp at the wheels
Yeah, I was kind of surprised to see the dual pipes leading into the stock muffler. Not only is it probably limiting the flow, it definitely doesn't sound "fast". I'm pretty sure factory piping is dual 2.5" which is more than adequate for 4 cylinders. I could get a dual 2.5" in/out but I don't really like the look of duals unless they exit the same side. Another option is to go with dual 2.5" in/3" out but I'm not sure how that would compare performance wise.

As for the tranny, I'm not 100% certain what was done. The owner said it was rebuilt, "beefed up" and had upgraded lube pump, 3/4 clutches and baskets. He also had a secondary tranny cooler installed. I could probably call the shop and ask them what exactly was done though.

Yeah with the Fast intake and long tubes the stock exhaust is the only bottleneck. A Big cam would make it a monster.
I was also kind of surprised to see that he spent a lot of money getting more air into the motor, but without a big cam it's definitely not using all the air to it's full potential.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you dont like the look of duals you can just dump it under the bed. Just dont dump it right over the axle or else you will melt your e brake line. That I know from experience. Yeah put a 220/220 cam in there and you should have a fast ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Long time no see buddy. Good looking truck, good find.

Dan

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Long time no see buddy. Good looking truck, good find.

Dan
No kidding, hope all is well Diesel Dan!

I've been hard on flipping vehicles lately, seems like I can't drive anything longer than a year before getting rid of it. In the last 6 years I've went from an 05 Silverado CCSB 1500, to an 08 Sierra Denali, 98 RCSB GMC, 08 Duramax, 06 RCSB, now this 06 Sierra Denali... but as long as I keep making money off of em' I don't see myself stopping anytime soon! Haha

Not sure what my plans are for this thing yet, if I keep it I'll have to do the exhaust for sure. Tried the dumped exhaust over the axle before but I had a bad drone when pulling the travel trailer. I'll probably dual in/out then dump them both out to the side behind the tire.

Like so:
Gibson65600_zpsd7f6e710.jpg

20130505_170308_zps219c937f.jpg

Definitely will need some new wheels too, and probably color match the grill.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
For sure upgrade the exhaust and dump it after the axle for a clean look. That looks like a nice clean truck! Good find!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
that intake is totally wrong for a stock cam, get some exhaust and then put a cam in that thing or sell the intake.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
that intake is totally wrong for a stock cam, get some exhaust and then put a cam in that thing or sell the intake.
Or swap to nnbs intake.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As of right now it has 1.75" AR Long tube headers plus hi-flow cats mated to the stock 2.75" dual pipes and stock muffler. I was planning on keeping the stock 2.75" piping, figured that's more than enough for a 400hp motor... Then swapping the muffler for a dual in/out 3" magnaflow but I dont want any drone, going to have to do some research on muffler choices.

Or swap to nnbs intake.
I still have the stock intake but I can't see how the longer intake runners would hurt performance... if anything the motor is just not able to optimize all that air with the stock cam. If I plan on driving this truck for a while, a cam will be in the future. I'll just have to research a good "towing cam" if theres such thing.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Magnaflow doesnt drone. Thats flowmaster. The nnbs/gen iv intake manifold will work with a stock cam and it works great on 6.0's. If you had a 5.3/4.8 you would have to do alot of work, just to get the gains.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Thats a good choice. I would run it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts