GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult would it be to put a 6.0 or 5.3 into a 94 Z-71? My 350 is getting a little tired and have been pondering a Gen lll? swap for a while. Does anybody have any information or know where I could find a write up from someone that has done one?? Thanks

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
94 uses a different fuel delivery system other than that its the same as mine. you'll probably need a new tank, pump and lines
he should be able to put a 96-97 c/k1500 pump in his tank and replace the little rubber line in the sending unit with a high pressure piece and be in business. thats the route i took.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Hold out for a 6L, the extra bore and better heads is WELL worth it.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Why do some/most people say an engine swap is unreliable? If I swapped in a LQ9 into my truck with CAI, my LT lpps, cam, P&P heads and a good tune, would that throw my reliability out the window?

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
Why do some/most people say an engine swap is unreliable? If I swapped in a LQ9 into my truck with CAI, my LT lpps, cam, P&P heads and a good tune, would that throw my reliability out the window?
any engine thats not completely factory has a potential to fail because its only as good as the guy who put it together and competent mechanics are very hard to find. lets break down what you asked for:

CAI
its an air filter no matter what you call it no way you can fuck that up

my LT lpps
bolts can come loose, break bolts removing the old exhaust

cam
requires custom tuning, valvetrain, low tolerances for mistakes - requires a specialized break in procedure

P&P heads
you are having some idiot grind away at your expensive and already engineered for maximum flow heads... fuck up here and kiss your setup goodbye

good tune
who offers good tunes? not mail order no matter what the internet tells you, you need a dyno tuner and those guys are hard to find that are any good.

engine swap
you literally disconnect EVERY part of the engine and then put it back together theres a BILLION ways to fuck that up...

but if you do everything right you're good to go for a while depending on how heavy your foot is

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
any engine thats not completely factory has a potential to fail because its only as good as the guy who put it together and competent mechanics are very hard to find. lets break down what you asked for:

CAI
its an air filter no matter what you call it no way you can fuck that up

my LT lpps
bolts can come loose, break bolts removing the old exhaust

cam
requires custom tuning, valvetrain, low tolerances for mistakes - requires a specialized break in procedure

P&P heads
you are having some idiot grind away at your expensive and already engineered for maximum flow heads... fuck up here and kiss your setup goodbye

good tune
who offers good tunes? not mail order no matter what the internet tells you, you need a dyno tuner and those guys are hard to find that are any good.

engine swap
you literally disconnect EVERY part of the engine and then put it back together theres a BILLION ways to fuck that up...

but if you do everything right you're good to go for a while depending on how heavy your foot is
Thanks. I really want to do this swap but I dont want to go to crazy and I want it to be very daily drivable still!

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
so then save up twice whatever you think it will cost and go with new parts from reputable companies and ask questions and collect tools and ask us for help and read car magazines and go to cruise nights blah blah

but id say keep your 5.3 and just boost it to the moon before you worry about changing blocks

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
so then save up twice whatever you think it will cost
A BIG WORD on that.

I'd go with the 6.0, might as well. Although I went with the 7.4 :big_banana_Dance:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts