GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals

I'm looking in the next month to purchase an 05/06 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL.

My plans are to run 35's with 17 inch wheels. I have looked at several different lifts, either a 4 inch Rancho, 4.5 BDS, 6 in Zone, 7 BDS.

I know the 4 inch will fit the 35's and that is what i'm leaning towards but that is not the point of this thread.

What i would like your opinions on is what engine, the 6.0 or 8.1 would you choose and why...

I know both come with the 4L80 trans which i plan to put in the 6 speed conversion.

This is mostly a town cruiser with the occasional long distance trip to include off road. During the summer this will tow 20 foot camp trailer maybe 3 times and a polaris ranger several times as well.

I realize that with the lift and 35 in tires that gas mileage is going to be crappy and I'm fine with that. I don't buy trucks to get good gas mileage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Find one with the 8.1 and you won't be disappointed. I have a 3500 cclb with 8.1/ Allison 6spd and it pulls my 27' camper with no problems. I drive a 6.0/6spd 2014 stakebed 3500DRW at work and it seems gutless in the lower rpm band. the 5.3/6.0 like to be wound up and make most of their torque in the higher rpm band.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts