GMC Truck Forum banner

6.0 or ls1 swap?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
i would go with whichever you can find cheapest. they both put out the same numbers but the LS1 is lighter (aluminum block). the lq9 has more room to upgrade bore wise and is a little stronger block. i dont hear of too many ls1's splittin blocks though.

i voted ls1 because im biased. i would do it again over a 6.0 anyday because i know ill never try and make a 408 out of my motor. i guarantee alot of guys that dont know shit about the matter will vote 6.0 just because its the popular way to go now days. you cant go wrong either way IMO:bowtie:

·
Registered
771 Posts
isnt an aluminum block easier to break tho...
hit up ls1tech and see how many aluminum blocks are broken...you wont find many and the ones that do are usually in extreme applications. whichever you find cheapest. i found my LS1 complete for $270. all i had to do to it was put it in! they are out there if you look hard and long

·
Registered
771 Posts
yeah its cast iron which is alot heavier than the aluminum block of the ls1. the 6.0 is built off of the ls1 platform so they are both torque monsters with minimal mods. the times in my sig are N/A with a stock cam, stock heads in my fat ECSB.

a buddy of mine broke into the 11's last night with his cammed ls1 on spray. dont overthink it. find what you can for cheap. the difference is neglectable. dont let my statement about the ls1 block being weaker scare you. its weaker than the cast iron 6.0 block but not weak by any means. does that make any sense?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
LS1 + milled 6.0 heads.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know 6.0 is a direct swap with everything except tuning...but what about an ls1 swap what else needs to be changed?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Bolts right in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I say go with the 6.0L, then you can use the newly affordable L92 heads and L92 intake (or L76 intake) for much less $$$, plus a good sized cam and get great results. Something you can not do with an LS1, unless you resleeve it to a 4.00" bore. :)

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
L92 heads have a 2.08" intake valve right? That's a bit much for a 4" bore.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
txsilverado got any pics of under the hood? also the ls1 is a direct swap with everything exept pcm right? so i would need an ls1 motor any pcm thats it and it will work with an 80e too?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
6L because of the displacement...your truck is heavy and I bet the 6L has more TQ down low than the LS1. If you had a standard cab I'd say LS1, but you have an excab so I say 6.0.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well txsilverado is running an ls1 in an extended cab runnin low 13s with all motor...i would be pretty happy to run low 13s with an ls1 and stock cam and stock heads i think it was...

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
well txsilverado is running an ls1 in an extended cab runnin low 13s with all motor...i would be pretty happy to run low 13s with an ls1 and stock cam and stock heads i think it was...
You can do that with a 6.0 and a mild tune!!!!!!!!!!! Yet not have to rev it to the moon.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you really think low 13s could be done with a 6.0 and good tune...gmracer did a 6.0 swap in his rcsb 4WD and ran mid 13s i think it was 13.6-13.7?!?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
6.0L or nothing, not worth putting an LS1 in IMO. Iron block weighs a little more, but its worth the strength.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts