GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to decide which direction im going to go..I would love to do a 6.0 swap, but im not sure if that will happen this summer or not..but i want to do something..so im debating between a 6.0 swap or just headers, cam, converter and efans for my 5.3...it runs great, no problems what so ever..would i be able to match a stock 6.0 with those mods? i have the BB tune of course and a CAI currently..i can swap the headers to the 6.0 if i do it, so id only be losing out on the cam..what do you think?

This is the cam Justin recommended and id go with a 2600-2800 stall

Comp 54-451-11

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/54-451-11/10002/-1

i will get new springs as well, justin said the stock rockers are fine as well.

Cam swap how-to that justin recommended..i shouldnt have much problem with it..weve done older 350s before so its not completely new
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

·
Registered
16 Posts
It really depends on 2 things, time and money. If your 5.3 has somewhat low miles I would say just keep it and modify that. If your 5.3 has alot of miles then maybe I would say go and swap it with the 6.0. Either way they both have their pros and cons.

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really depends on 2 things, time and money. If your 5.3 has somewhat low miles I would say just keep it and modify that. If your 5.3 has alot of miles then maybe I would say go and swap it with the 6.0. Either way they both have their pros and cons.
It has about 150k on it, but everything is very sound..no smoke, no burning oil, no wierd noises etc..cost is also a factor..i can get the cam for about 400, headers $500, springs ? and stall 300-400..im not sure if i would need a stall right away.. so im figuring about $1200, 1600 with a converter....id be lucky to find a 6.0 around here for under 1500..plus then its still just a stock motor and id probably have to change a few things on that..

honestly it just really depends if i can match or beat a stock 6.0 with a cam in my 5.3..that would help me justify it more..i cant even spin the damn tires in the tahoe

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'd say just mod the 5.3 and then later on down the road, find a 6.0 for a good deal and clean it up and do the swap. I think you'd be pretty happy modding your 5.3.

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say just mod the 5.3 and then later on down the road, find a 6.0 for a good deal and clean it up and do the swap. I think you'd be pretty happy modding your 5.3.
thats what im thinking..i mean i can do the shit to the 5.3 this summer and keep my eye out for a 6.0..the converter, headers, and everything besides the cam and parts can be swapped..so id be out $400 basically but could maybe sell the cam or my stock 5.3 and cover that cost..

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
6L, better heads more bore = more power.

You can always mod it later too.

But again, your issue with being a turd lies in gear.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Umm dude, the cam can be swapped to the 6.0l as well, but it wouldn't be ideal. But you should throw gears on your list of things to do. 4.10s or 4.30s at least.

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess i just dont see the huge deal with gears...my tires arnt any different size then the stock ones, my spedo stayed the same..i drive on the highway daily so i dont want to loose my good mpg on the interstate..i know gears would help for the off the line power, but i think i can do enough to the motor to make me happy..when i drive 16k a year i dont want to be running to low of gearing..

since everything can be swapped, i will probably work on the 5.3 this summer and then keep an eye out for a 6.0..they are few and far between..some i saw going for 2500 stock..its bad

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
What gears do you have now? 3.42s? Seriously it's not gonna ruin your mpg to get 4.10s or 4.30s with those tires. It's not so much the tire size as it is the fucking weight of 24" wheels.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a 6.0 and tranny and then put a stall and cam in it then just swap the motor and trans out. That should give my truck a pretty good kick in the pants.. Its just all in how the money comes

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
It has about 150k on it, but everything is very sound..no smoke, no burning oil, no wierd noises etc..cost is also a factor..i can get the cam for about 400, headers $500, springs ? and stall 300-400..im not sure if i would need a stall right away.. so im figuring about $1200, 1600 with a converter....id be lucky to find a 6.0 around here for under 1500..plus then its still just a stock motor and id probably have to change a few things on that..

honestly it just really depends if i can match or beat a stock 6.0 with a cam in my 5.3..that would help me justify it more..i cant even spin the damn tires in the tahoe
Uhhh...keep looking. I just helped on a 6.0 swap where it ran $1200 total....including the motor

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I beat a escalade before with a 6.0, but it was stock lol. Do some gears man youll like it, and you can still swap a 6.0 if you want.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
6L, better heads more bore = more power.

You can always mod it later too.

But again, your issue with being a turd lies in gear.
:word:

How much do your 24's weigh?

Check out member 2003GMC. He regeared after putting 22's, and big tires on with s 2/4. He was thoroughly impressed with the difference. I think if I remember correctly, his wheels weighed double what my stockers w/ 245's weighed.

·
Stock Sucks
227 Posts
you have the right idea... I'd keep running the 5.3L just buy parts that will help your 5.3L now and a 6.0L down the road.. That way you dont have to lose money selling parts you have and buying something new you dont have. This is going in the Hoe right?

I presume you already have a CAI and exhaust. I'd go with 4.10 gears, stall, longtubes, posi if you dont have a factory g80. and a new tune. With those mods you'll be happy and wouldnt be wasting any money if you decide on going the 6 liter swap down the road. Thats my honest opinion.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
no doubt gears will help you more than you think, without ANY engine mods. And all without effecting your mpg nearly as bas as you're dreading for some reason. You've got some heavy ass 24's on there, now THOSE are hurting your mpgs even worse. Not to mention you say you can't even break them loose, that sucks, you need the gears, will help your tranny life too!

I just cam'ed, stalled, etc. my 5.3 this year... with good results that I am happy with (yes it will beat a stock 6.0, but that may depend on other configurations as well), so now I'll see how it lasts and how she drives for the rest of the year, then maybe next year I'll look into a built 6.0 (or a new truck... ?). If it didn't seem like such a pain in the ass, maybe I'd look at a Gen IV too!

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Get whatever is cheapest. Everything swaps.

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well between the stock tires and the 24s the mpg and power did not change noticibly..it could never spin the stocks either..i have 3.73s right now with an open carrier..id just have to have to regear cuz then i have to do front gears as well since its 4x4 and that will get costly...the rims are heavy though..mostly hurt my breaking..

i know that 6.0s are out there cheap, but around me there isnt shit..im going to call a few people and get them looking..ill prolly start with some LPP long tubes and efans then go from there..hopefully cam by the end of the summer, maybe now a tr-220..how bad would it be to run that cam without a stall?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
well between the stock tires and the 24s the mpg and power did not change noticibly..it could never spin the stocks either..i have 3.73s right now with an open carrier..id just have to have to regear cuz then i have to do front gears as well since its 4x4 and that will get costly...the rims are heavy though..mostly hurt my breaking..
Apparently, you've got it all figured out so we'll just watch as you waste your money.

I haven't quite figured out why people ask for help then negate the best advice they're given.

im going to call a few people and get them looking..ill prolly start with some LPP long tubes and efans then go from there..hopefully cam by the end of the summer, maybe now a tr-220..how bad would it be to run that cam without a stall?
Do you want your truck to get faster or slower?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
im going to call a few people and get them looking..ill prolly start with some LPP long tubes and efans then go from there..hopefully cam by the end of the summer, maybe now a tr-220..how bad would it be to run that cam without a stall?

LOL, your truck will have EVEN WORSE bottom end power with those headers compounded by the cam. :rofl2:

Dude, I paid fucking $400 for my 6L. Just look around.

Who cares if you have to regear the front? Just yank the front shaft for now. You're obviously a fucking idiot if you think heavy wheels/tires only hurts breaking. :rofljest:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts