GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how tough would it be to put a 6.0L in a 69 camaro. anyone know if thats been done? or is that a dumbass idea?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
It's been done before and is not dumb. Although if you're doing something that different I'd probably do something wild and crazy like a turboed 408 or an lsx setup.

If you're on a budget though it's not horribly hard.

You'll need the engine and all accessories and harness, you'll want the wiring harness sorted through and all the unneccessary stuff removed.

There's a lot of little stuff like swapping to a newer fuel pump and some radiator provisions.

Honestly, the place place to look is ls1truck. There are tons of guys who have done the swap. I personally have not so all my information is reading threads others have done.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, ill check that out. could you explain to me or just list out what the difference is between all the lsx and lq4 and lq9 is? or is it listed here somewhere?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
ok, ill check that out. could you explain to me or just list out what the difference is between all the lsx and lq4 and lq9 is? or is it listed here somewhere?
LSx is the BAMF of the LS engine world. Basically you have to buy a $2000 "warlock" block and you can bore it to pretty much whatever you want.

Many people go this route to build modern style 427, 454, or bigger LS based engine.

Plan on spending close to $8000 for a solid built one though.

Here's one in a truck:
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=420008&page=2

The engine part starts from post 45.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe ill throw one in an old iroc-z. i know most will call me a *******, but i really do like those cars if they are in good condition

·
Registered
768 Posts
Car Craft just did a write up a few months ago, May 2009 issue, about swapping an LS engine into older cars. There is a place that has mounts and an alternator mount to make a 6.0 truck engine work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
6.0 in a 69 camero isnt anything crazy. they came with 454s. Do something crazy like turbos or a duramax.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
6.0 in a 69 camero isnt anything crazy. they came with 454s. Do something crazy like turbos or a duramax.
1969 Camaro's came with a 454? That is crazy. :think::tongue:

"something crazy like turbos or a duramax" I just like reading that and laughing a little bit... :crazy:
according to your above logic, a dirtymax wouldn't be crazy either though, it's only a 6.6l. c'mon.

Just recently there was a stripped out Z06 on ebay with a built and boosted LQ9 and some other odd stuff in it. Caught my eye as simply being unique, but it was kind of a pile.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for one, the 6L would probably kill a 454, and for two, it would be a 6L with FI for sure

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, TT LQ4 in a 69 camaro, final answer....im only dreaming though

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
or even better, ill put my 383 in the 69 and put the LQ4 in my truck...haha

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
lq4 is lower compression and in 2500 and 3500 trucks and vans and denalis. lq9 is in escalade ss and vho 1500 trucks. lq9 comes w. a 65e and lq4 80e

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the LQ4 would like the twins better since it has a lower compression ratio. and for the trans i would prob get a completely built 60e from FLT. i would stay away from the 80e since it would have a lot of drivetrain loss

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
the LQ4 would like the twins better since it has a lower compression ratio. and for the trans i would prob get a completely built 60e from FLT. i would stay away from the 80e since it would have a lot of drivetrain loss
a turbo (or a pair of turbos) would like the first gear of the 80e much better for spooling purposes.

i wouldn't put a 65e in anything over 500rwhp, unless the car is pretty light.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts