GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright.. so around june 1st i'm going to see my dad and he's going to give me his truck that we've been working on together. i've posted it before. basically a 2003 RCSB stepside with a ton of highway miles on it. it has a 4.8 and 4l60e. One of the solenoids or servos can't remember at the time sticks every once in a while and the truck doesn't want to shift. we have the part just havent installed it yet. otherwise it seems ok.

I a fixing to sell my 2005 yfz 450. hopefully i'll get around 4500 for it. Would it be possible to do a 6.0 and tranny swap maybe some headers, stall, cam, and shift kit within that amount of money including labor. i don't have the tools or experience to do it myself. Another thing is would my 10 bolt hold up? could it be built or would it need to be replaced?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
i dunno if 4,500 will buy you an engine, buy you a built tranny, cam, headers, etc, AND pay for labor to install it. it'd be close.

put in a new differential in the rear, like an eaton LSD or detroit true trac and your rear will hold up fine.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dunno if 4,500 will buy you an engine, buy you a built tranny, cam, headers, etc, AND pay for labor to install it. it'd be close.

put in a new differential in the rear, like an eaton LSD or detroit true trac and your rear will hold up fine.
my neighbor's dad owns a scrap yard and he works there so maybe he'll have something, and a friend from school's dad owns an automotive shop that swapped a friend's new re22 in his pre-taco so maybe i can try to work some deals

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
over on pt.net there is a guy trying to sell 2 complete 6.0 lq4 long blocks for liek $1500 plus shipping. You can pick up 6.0 for anywhere from $1500-$2500 depending, a tranny around $2000-$2500, so that's kinda a ballpark. Now if you check out finish line transmission over on pt.net as well, you can get a built t56 for $2,000, so if you are looking for a stock tranny, then obviously lower.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
i don't see it happening for 4500 when its all said and done. keep to the bare essentials and it could probably be done, but start adding cam, headers, etc it adds up quick.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't see it happening for 4500 when its all said and done. keep to the bare essentials and it could probably be done, but start adding cam, headers, etc it adds up quick.

word. I am considering just fixing the tranny, and taking the money and put the trck on air. i already have a price for all the parts on that and it could be done. a 6.0 might get me in trouble. :evil:

i guess i'll just have to check and decide based on what i can find

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
word. I am considering just fixing the tranny, and taking the money and put the trck on air. i already have a price for all the parts on that and it could be done. a 6.0 might get me in trouble. :evil:

why not just drop in a 5.3 with some nice mods

·
5,501 Posts

keep an eye out and an open mind...you would be surprised at what you can find for a reasonable price...

ever thought about building the 60e and tossing a turbo on the 4.8? that would make for a fun truck. turbo set ups can be done relatively cheap and a 4.8 would like boost.

you will want to throw a new carrier in the rear, at the least imo. the g80 will give out one day...they all do. a good carrier and if you are throwing down a ton of power, some chromo shafts and you will be more than good.

·
Registered
303 Posts
lq4-$1000
Headers-$400
Built 4l60e-$1800
Cam/918's/pushrods-$350
Converter-$400
That combo right there will get you into the 13's. It comes in at under $4000 so you have another $550 to play with for extra parts,etc.

·
5,501 Posts
lq4-$1000
Headers-$400
Built 4l60e-$1800
Cam/918's/pushrods-$350
Converter-$400
That combo right there will get you into the 13's. It comes in at under $4000 so you have another $550 to play with for extra parts,etc.
where are you finding a decent cam/918s/pushrods for 350? i know it can be done, just not all that likely. i picked up my cam/915s/chromo rods for 400$, rods being new, cam had 500 miles, 915s had 2000.

you can also substitute 918s with some ls6 springs, which run under 60$ shipped from gmpd, as long as you aren't going over .570 lift, which, in a street driven truck, there isn't much need to be over .550, esp since heads stop flowing better around there.

another thing, just becasue headers are 400$ doesn't mean the rest of the exhaust will work...sure, if you ran shortys, it would work, but theres no point in wasting money. these manifolds flow real well stock and the MARGINAL gains from shortys isn't worth the money at all...if you are doing headers, do a good set of long tubes, OR get a set of c5 z06 manifolds. Tri-y mids from the factory, and can be had CHEAP.

theres a LOT of options on what you can do...but just keep in mind, you will WANT to have some extra cash around for when the rear end does go out with any extra power...its only a matter of time.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i should explain what i want i guess.... a badass STREET truck that will smash the local rice rockets and give mustangs a hard time while being reliable enough to drive to school. for exhaust it has single in dual out delta series flowmaster 40, but i am going to buy a cutout for it regardless of what i do with the motor, and funds permitting I want long tubes.

I dont want a huge stall, but i want a decent cam. Doesn't have to barely idle but i love the sound too.
preferably a 6.0 and not forced induction, i want it simple

oh and, will a 4.8 plastic cover fit on a 6.0? :evil:

·
Team Black
1,398 Posts
i should explain what i want i guess.... a badass STREET truck that will smash the local rice rockets and give mustangs a hard time while being reliable enough to drive to school. for exhaust it has single in dual out delta series flowmaster 40, but i am going to buy a cutout for it regardless of what i do with the motor, and funds permitting I want long tubes.

I dont want a huge stall, but i want a decent cam. Doesn't have to barely idle but i love the sound too.
preferably a 6.0 and not forced induction, i want it simple

oh and, will a 4.8 plastic cover fit on a 6.0? :evil:
Shouldnt be that hard especially with a 6.0. I was running a little faster than the mustang GTs at the track in my 5.3.

I'm moving back to Ruston next week for school, we should meet in Monroe somewhere and take some pics when you get your truck.

·
5,501 Posts
where?

The cam alone will cost that much. The springs can be found for 150, and the pushrods are 120.
used are where its at...but you know that already im sure. full roller cams = virtually no wear.

expect a used cam to be 250$, give or take, alone. pushrods aren't necessary, but are a good idea, and ls6 springs, like i said previously, are 60$ shipped new...

and yes, some of us live in a dream world...ever heard of nickle and diming to death? these swaps do it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
and yes, some of us live in a dream world...ever heard of nickle and diming to death? these swaps do it.
I'm in the process of swapping in a forged 370... yeah I think I know a little about being nickel and dimed to death. :LOL: I'd post my mod list, but I'd start crying and I can't afford to replace a shorted out keyboard. :LOL:

·
5,501 Posts
I'm in the process of swapping in a forged 370... yeah I think I know a little about being nickel and dimed to death. :LOL: I'd post my mod list, but I'd start crying and I can't afford to replace a shorted out keyboard. :LOL:
lol yeah, i wasn't refering to you..i was refering to the other guy saying the cam/springs/rods were 350$ and not including exhaust after the collectors and that type shit...his "extra" 550$ would be gone before the old motor was pulled from the truck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Since everybody is calling me out on my prices I will explain. You can get a perfectly good short block lq4 from a junk yard for $1000. They aren't a dime a dozen but there are plenty out there. Heck TXSilverado on here paid $275 for his LS1 engine.

As far as the cam/springs/pushrods. I paid $350 shipped for my stuff. It's a tr220/220 on 114 lsa, 918 springs, and it came with brand new comp pushrods. The cam and springs had 4k on them and the pushrods like I said were new.

It's all about good deals fellas. Not everything has to be brand new(unless you think it has to be).

I've got less than $1500 into my setup and I run a setup that would get a single cab into the LOW 12's and an extended cab into the low 13's:
tt3000-$250 brand new
tr220/springs/pushrods-$350
4.10 motive gears-$85
Full NX Nitrous setup(bottle heater/window switch,etc)-$200
EFI Live-$250
K&N Intake-$100
and a few other things I'm forgetting. I have $1235 into my setup so I PROMISE you it can be done. I have no "Hookups" or super deals. I'm just patient

·
5,501 Posts
Since everybody is calling me out on my prices I will explain. You can get a perfectly good short block lq4 from a junk yard for $1000. They aren't a dime a dozen but there are plenty out there. Heck TXSilverado on here paid $275 for his LS1 engine.

As far as the cam/springs/pushrods. I paid $350 shipped for my stuff. It's a tr220/220 on 114 lsa, 918 springs, and it came with brand new comp pushrods. The cam and springs had 4k on them and the pushrods like I said were new.

It's all about good deals fellas. Not everything has to be brand new(unless you think it has to be).

I've got less than $1500 into my setup and I run a setup that would get a single cab into the LOW 12's and an extended cab into the low 13's:
tt3000-$250 brand new
tr220/springs/pushrods-$350
4.10 motive gears-$85
Full NX Nitrous setup-$200
EFI Live-$250
K&N Intake-$100
and a few other things I'm forgetting. I have $1235 into my setup so I PROMISE you it can be done. I have no "Hookups" or super deals. I'm just patient
oh i know it can be done...which is why i have very little money into my 5.3. just have to be patient and wait for the deals to fall in your lap...i picked up my 5.3 for 500$, along with good 4l60e 2wd trans, full trans/motor wiring harness, complete from manifold to oil pan, waterpump to tailhousing. I could have swapped it in in favor of my tbi stuff for under 1500$ no problem, fuel pump, exhaust, everything...but, i decided to buy HPtuners, decided to go ahead and buy a built 4x4 80e, etc etc...THIS is the shit that nickel and dimes. Something most of yall have to consider also is doing something about the shitty carriers gm puts in the 10bs. When you start gettin more of the full potential of these motors out with tunes AND add aftermarket parts like cams and whatnot, the 10b goes quick. So sure, you can build a high HP motor EASY with a lsx, BUT you have to have a trans AND rear end that can handle it...if not, you will be putting as much or WAY more into the rest of the drivetrain as what you have in the motor itself...

this shits one vicious cycle...:insane:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts