GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo, between LQ9 6.0 and an 05 8.1. What you think? This is a non-smog application so anything is game. Want as much low rpm power as possible but want to scream to 6k too... Can an 8.1 handle the RPM's? How about with an SC? I need to make a decision... Looking for roughly 500hp. All of my expierence is gen VI big blocks, and pre-ls small blocks. Need to buy by next week...

·
Registered
446 Posts
How are you gonna buy. Crate or junkyard and rebuild. I would imagine getting that 496 to rev like the 6 liter will would take some extra thought. I would suggest just going big block N/A and make that sob bullet proof. Throw in a cam and maybe have it bored a little and pull shit down. This approach would be good if you plan on doing in your new rig what you do with your old rig. Superchargers and shit are cool but they add alot of hassle for an engine that might get ringed out once a run. Dibble makes his shit scream. Maybe get the specs on his engine. I know his is tbi so if you could do up something similar to his with an 8.1 but have modern fuel injection that shit would rock.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
What kind of weight are planning to be at for this new motor to move?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
go with a 6.0L. from what i have heard they respond to mods much better than the 8.1L. a 6.0 with a radix would definately get you to your 500hp mark.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
6.0 would be a better builld in my opinion. More parts available, tons of forced induction options, better fuel mileage, lighter, and easier to swap if its going in a LSX based vehicle.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
:word: Last I remember readin from Jason is that he was goin for a lighter rig.

Anyone know the weight difference between the 2? I'd be all for the 8.1 if it wasn't that much heavier. I'd rather have a large, comfortable engine than a small screaming one.
a 6.0 isn't too small...and the power you can get out of them easily is insane...Id vote 6.0, just for the LSX small block factor...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The al. head 6.0 is awesome, many friends run them now in there off road rigs but they are just so damn high in the rpm scale for there power...

Looking at 4500ish pounds for the new rig and it will have to move down the highway at 70+.

Oh and they would both be wrecked trucks with less than 15k on them.

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
6.0 with roots blower hands down. The 8.1 is a straight dog and does not have much after market support, well compared to a 6.0.

A 6.0 with a roots blower usually has full TQ in about 2500. You will have so much TQ you will wonder what to do with it :D

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know the weight diff. between the two?

I'm leaning 6.0 now...

Which roots do you recommend? I have no idea whats out for these new fangled engines. I hear roots I think about my old 10-71 I had :D Anyone have an intercooled roots? Whipple? Radix?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I've never been a fan of the 6.0 gasser. In pulling situations I thought they pulled like a dog. Get a 8.1 for sure.

·
5,501 Posts
I've never been a fan of the 6.0 gasser. In pulling situations I thought they pulled like a dog. Get a 8.1 for sure.
it wont be in a tow rig...4500 lb offroad rig...not too much time spent in high range...4500 lbs and 500 hp...sounds fun.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
it wont be in a tow rig...4500 lb offroad rig...not too much time spent in high range...4500 lbs and 500 hp...sounds fun.

I know. I've just never been impressed with the 6.0

·
5,501 Posts
I know. I've just never been impressed with the 6.0
you aren't the first one ive heard say that...i think stock ones in the HDs are just stupidly detuned...and with that and a heavy truck, doesn't work out well. Theres a ton of potential in those motors (as can be seen by many of the guys that have swapped them in the half tons) and with a good tune, cam, and bolt one id see it being more than enough for almost anything.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts