GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 05 2500hd 6.0L and i am wondering what you would recommend. i am going to be running True duals and dumps. i was thinking of running 2 super 40 flows but i dont know if i want it to be that loud in the cab. Can anyone recommend a good loud muffle? I was also thinking of running 2 SLP loud mouth 2s with dumps but i dont know how that would sound. Spintech mufflers any good or loud?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
the 6.0 HD trucks allready run a dual 3" exhaust all the way to the 2 into 1 muffler.

Unless you are force inducted, I dont think dumps will make a huge difference in power over a dual 3" exhaust.

On some of the 6.0 LQ4/Q9's there is a 3-4" length of pipe immediatley at the outlets of the exhaust manifolds that is smaller than teh rest of teh exhaust. These pipes are like a sort of exhaust restrictor to keep exhaust velocity out of the engine high. High velocity equals high torque.

IIRC if the HD truck has the 496 8.1L engine installed, these exhaust/manifold restrictors are not installed.

Your 354 cube engine uses dual 3" headpipes, my Vortec 350 engine uses dual 1 7/8" headpipes. The NBS exhausts have come a long way. The 3/4 ton and 1 ton Vortec 350 trucks used a better larger diameter headpipe and cat combop than the 1/2 ton Vortec 350's do.

You have a LOT of option in respect to exhausts for your truck. If you cut off the huge stock dual in single out muffler you can run a dual in dual outlet muffler or 2 single in/out straight through mufflers.

Here are the Proflow 25--HD direct factory replacement performance mufflers.
This link confirms my dual 3" HD exhaust statements.
http://www.flopro.com/FP2500oval.htm

peace
Hog

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
if you run dual mufflers i would recommend a magnaflow x-pipe, keeps popping down and such.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
i have a 50HD flowmaster hope this helps
th_2006gmcflowmaster.gif

th_1500hd5500RPM.gif

IMG_0164.gif

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for all the help. lethalyoyo your truck sounds good, is it loud in the cab?

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
no not bad give me a sec and i ll get a vid for you

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
th_aroundtheblockII.gif

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
Careful what you choose with the 6.0, it's a drone monster. I drove several Flow and Magna equiped 6.0s and found the drone anoying. I know there are others, but my Corsa drones none. All of the trucks I drove had either a di/do split out the rear or true duals run all the way to the rear also. Haven't heard them dumped, but my last couple of 5.3s droned more when I dumped them. I'm not talking loud exhaust note, I mean the frequency that will give you a headache after a while.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
Careful what you choose with the 6.0, it's a drone monster. I drove several Flow and Magna equiped 6.0s and found the drone anoying. I know there are others, but my Corsa drones none. All of the trucks I drove had either a di/do split out the rear or true duals run all the way to the rear also. Haven't heard them dumped, but my last couple of 5.3s droned more when I dumped them. I'm not talking loud exhaust note, I mean the frequency that will give you a headache after a while.
in all of thoes vids of my truck the muffler is dumped look at the pic

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
I realize yours is dumped, but you can't really capture drone on film. I meant I have not heard one in person.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
well when i play it threw my sys. on my comp and turn it up half way it sound exactly what i does in my truck then againg I have 5.1 on my comp if it helps ill go and get my friends Db reader for ya

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
No, that's cool, I'm not saying yours drones, I think it sounds good. Just throwing out experiences to help a fellow GM guy out. Later

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
th_hasha.gif

this is better HAHA

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Drone on the 6.0s is mostly from the true duals, too much flow not enough velocity...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys for all the feedback and Michael for all the vids

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have to agree with the corsa. I recently installed corsa's on my GTO, and have several customers with corsas on the vettes I have sold them. Keep in mind they are all new C6's and sound absloutly wicked. But I have never known corsa to have any drone at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i actually have an 05 2500 hd with a 6.0 and i have dual flowmaster super
40's . i absolutely love it and i would never change it for anything. the looks i get and the amount of people that ask what the hell i'v got on there for mufflers is amazing. just ordered my pacesetter lt's and a magnaflow x pipe yesterday. should help equal the banks and add some flow. oh yeah my tailpipes are cheaply made, both out the passenger side at the back of the box. sorry i can't give you a sound clip but my camera is busted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts