GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals! i wasn't really looking for a new motor anytime soon but i'm getting bored with my truck. i want a 6.0 now. so please be patient with me as i may have some stupid questions.

1) will a 6.0 with with the tranny that's already in my truck? i have a 2003 gmc sierra with a 4.8 in it. reason i'm asking is because i blew the tranny 2 years ago and it's been fully built since.

2)what is the c.i.d. displacement on a 6.0?

3)will my 42lb injectors work with the 6.0 fuel rails (if they are different at all)?

4)what is the main difference between an lq4 and an lq9?

5)what all do i need to do this swap?

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
"Here are the differences from the LQ4 and the LQ9 ... the pistons! The LQ4 has dished pistons which equate to 9.5 Static CR, the LQ9 have flat top pistons which equate to 10.4 Static CR. The heads from 1999-2000 6.0L are Iron heads, from 2001 and newer they have been the 317 aluminum heads. Any head designed for a 4.00" bore will work on either the LQ4 or LQ9, heck GM even used the LS6 heads (243) on the early LS2 (aluminum version of the LQ9 sort of). The LQ4 was available on most light/medium duty trucks and SUVs, the LQ9 was used on Denalis, Escalades and Silverado SSs. All of the 6.0L blocks are the same, even the part/casting number."

This is from LS1Tech.com:shake:

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I don't know that much but will you be going with some type of forced induction on your 6.0?...if so you might want to invest into a 4l80e.

And heres the displacment for the 6.0's:
6.0L / 5957 cc (364.13 cubic inches)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again. yeah i'll be getting the tranny too. i'm gonna pull the bags off my truck and keep the 4 link and build some stuff on the ass end with some coilovers. we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
thanks again. yeah i'll be getting the tranny too. i'm gonna pull the bags off my truck and keep the 4 link and build some stuff on the ass end with some coilovers. we'll see how that goes.
hmm, are you gonna sell your air mangment, etc? let me know cause im bagging my truck this summer and kind of looking for parts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yes, it will bolt in.

364"

Yes, injectors will work.

Full floating pistons, beefier rods, flat top slugs. Apparently late 6.0 have the LS2 bottom end.

Time and money to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts