GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here I find myself again asking for advice lol. But anyways like the title says my 6.0L Chevy makes a very loud ticking noise, it follows RPM and does it on start up, but it doesn’t seem to come around unless the engine is pushed hard or the truck has been driven for a while, it also makes my exhaust sound more lopey at idle and different when accelerating. if I sit with it idling for a while (like at a long light or parking lot) it’ll go away for a while then come back.

I had an exhaust shop check my headers for leaks and found nothing. Went to the dealership twice about it and both times got told it was normal, which doesn’t really sit right with me considering how loud the ticking is.

I just need advice on what it might be and what I should do since the dealership obviously doesn’t want to mess with it, thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
An 03? Sounds like an exhaust leak to me but since you've already been to a shop I am not sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check that all the exhuast manifold bolts are present and not broken off.

·
Registered
142 Posts
1. Put smoker on tailpipe
2. Blow smoke
3. Look for leaks.
4. ???
5. Profit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An 03? Sounds like an exhaust leak to me but since you've already been to a shop I am not sure.
Confirmed it is an exhaust leak, and on closer inspection I noticed a black spot on the side of the engine block which probably would have telltale if I noticed it at first lol, but thank you for your help I really appreciate it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts