GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've got a '02 Sierra 2500 I finally regularly tow with, 8,000# or so fifth wheel and a smaller car hauler. I ended up doing a full float dually axle swap, and I have the 4.10s in the rear (what was in the axle) and 3.73s up front. I'm getting to the point where I need to swap gears up front and finalize gear ratios, since winter is coming.
The 6.0l with 3.73s was constantly in third at 65-70 while towing the fifth wheel back from Tacoma when I first purchased it, up the Gorge. With 4.10s, there wasn't much change. In the mountains, it does fairly well, but the 6 and 7% grades knock it down to second at 50mph. I'd like to keep the rpms a bit lower, and be able to maintain a higher speed (preferably closer to 55-60). That and keep my truck from downshifting on the freeway constantly. Speed limits through Idaho are all 70-80. I'm also looking into getting a trailer that's larger in the future. Possibly 10-11k. So here I guess are my options:
4.10s and a performance cam and tune. Should work well with my not so restricted dual pipes and my cold air, from what I've been told.
4.56s and a mild performance tuner, but no cam. I don't have the extra cash for both.

Which will suit my needs better? Where am I going to get the least drop in fuel mileage? Current is 8 towing on the freeway and 9 in the mountains up and down the grades. Last trip had 3 major 6-7% grades...
I'd be doing all the work besides the tune.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Fair enough just wanted to let it be known that is what you need to do lol

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
That's the plan 5 years down the road. I'm well aware a diesel would kick ass while towing in the mountains. Not currently in a financial situation where I can go out and buy a new truck with the market how it is.
Diesel pickups are not a sound investment. Don’t listen to him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts