GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i searched this first and didn't really get an results, anyway i just bought a 1985 K5 Blazer for 400 bucks it had the 6.2 diesel and 700-r4 combo. I don't wanna put a 6.2 back in, how hard would it be to put a 350 in. I realize exhaust and wiring but don't really know the rest

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Regular SBC stuff is easy to find. Put a HEI ignition, carb on it and the motor needs all of 3 wires to run. The transmission should bolt up, if not- trans are a dime a dozen for the SBC motors, as are headers and such.

You are probably also looking at some different motor mounts- not a big deal either. Ebay/Craigslist will become your best friends.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Not hard at all, just your basic stuff to throw a crate engine in, there's not much to wiring other than ignition and starter, then clean out the fuel system and run with it.

What are your plans for the blazer? If using it as a DD, I would not hesitate to rebuild or throw another 6.2 in. They may be slow, but if not beat on they are reliable and get great fuel mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My plans were to just get it running and get some miles off my dd, unfortunately i do not have the 6.2 that came with it or the money to go buy a 6.2 but i do have a 5.7 with an intake, carb, and aftermarket distributor. Another thing that people have told me is that the 6.2 blazers had high gear ratios like 3:54 or 3:43s is this true? Because im really wanting to put a little lift on and run some 33s but im leery. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/images/smilies/imo.gif

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
There is a whole huge range of gears your K5 could have had from 3.08 all the way up to 4.56....The military M1009 would have had 4.56. With your 700r4 I would guess you would be between 3.08-3.42, you can easily check by looking in the glove compartment at the RPO code list, look for:

GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

HC4 -- AXLE REAR, 4.56 RATIO

If you want to run 33s your best option would be to find a set of takeoff 10 bolts from a CUCV Blazer with 4.56, they usually aren't hard to find because many swap them for the D60/14 bolts from the CUCV trucks.

·
flight medic
1,457 Posts
i would love a blazer with a 6.2 in it. great milage and hold up i am sure they got some diesel mods out now that would really make put out also.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
i would love a blazer with a 6.2 in it. great milage and hold up i am sure they got some diesel mods out now that would really make put out also.
Lol no...you can get an old Banks turbo kit for it and you will put out stock 350 power levels, and the mileage will go down to match. I would rather keep it stock, reliable, and economical, albeit slow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts