GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from eastern nc. I am new to gmfs. I have a 04 z71 tahoe with a few mods. I have been thinkng of doing a 6.2ls swap. Has any one done this? I could use some help if any one has some input. Here is a list of my current mods.

5.3ls
bbk headers, custom dual exhaust, slp 160 degree thermostat,
k&n cai, msd wires, e-3 plugs, sct programmer 93 oct tune, slp underdrive pulley, stock 373's in the rear. Full line of royal purple

westin full brush guard, two 6" 100w kc lights, 55w 600k 9006 hid's, 35w 6000k 880 fog light hid's, recon black out led tail lights,
black out head light covers, window tint. Meter reads 1% on back
and 15% on front windows, 2" LEVELING KIT.

clarion nx702 touch screen dvd nav head unit, rockford t-1 component system in front and rear, 2 boston oval subs in a super bass box, rockford t-600 and t-2500 amps.

Future mods

roughcountry 6" lift, fuel 20x10 chrome deep octane wheels, e-fans.

I am lookng to achieve 500-600 bhp and am thinking of swaping my 5.3ls for a 6.2ls to do this. I have heard of 6.0 swaps but have not heard or seen of any one doing a 6.2 swap in a z71 tahoe. I just think that in order to achieve my hp goals it would be more realistic with a s/c 6.2 and a 4l80e swap. I would think with this swap it would allow me to run mid 12 in the 1/4 and massive torque for off road playing.

So if anyone has done this or knows any thing that will be helpful please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
It would be easier to swap a Gen III 6.0 rather than a Gen IV 6.2. The 6.0 is more of a direct swap, whereas the 6.2 has a different reluctor wheel, cam gear, VVT, knock sensor locations and probably a few more sensors that are either in different locations or wired differently. Not impossible, but a lot more work for 12 extra cubes.

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
Get an lq9 6.0, ported and polished l92 square port heads and square port truck intake or fast intake, a big juicy custom spec cam, and boost it. 500-600 n/a hp is hard to come by, but not impossible. Boosting is your best bet. Check the classifieds on ls1tech or performancetrucks.net and used turbos and superchargers go up for sale all the time. It all will be based on your budget. Another thing that u need to go ahead and get prepared for is a built tranny and billet torque converter. With a larger cam, ull need a larger stall converter. Over 330 or so rwhp will be about the end of your stock tranny depending on how u drive. Order a trucool 40k transcooler now to go ahead and start saving it and get an instrument cluster or gauge pod with a tranny temp gauge so u can monitor it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do guys. Going with the 6.0, my build budget is 10 grand. And it sounds like the 6.0 wil be far easier to swap. Even if i cant get 600 hp i should be able to get close to 500 hp. Thanks for the help!

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
Look up guerra group. Email pat g for a custom spec cam and get Geoff at eps to grind it. Get some CNC ported l92 heads and a fast intake mani. U can forge the bottom end to a 402 by boring the cylinders and adding a 4" stroke for less than 2500. If staying n/a id do a 408 stroker, CNC l92s, fast intake, and performabuilt lvl 2 or 3 and ull meet your goal and budget. Call 1-800-456-0211 (scoggin dickey) and ask for beau. Hell set u up right

·
Need Moar Low
2,286 Posts
You may get close to 500 with a 408 and l92s
Like above there's reasons we not putting 6.2s in our trucks
Btw if you pick up a stock lq9 don't go put a set of ported l92s on it,it will just be to much for the motor.

So you'll end up with a H/C/I FBO 6L and you should get down 400rwhp solid unless you turbo,blow,or spray it.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
You may get close to 500 with a 408 and l92s
Like above there's reasons we not putting 6.2s in our trucks
Btw if you pick up a stock lq9 don't go put a set of ported l92s on it,it will just be to much for the motor.

So you'll end up with a H/C/I FBO 6L and you should get down 400rwhp solid unless you turbo,blow,or spray it.

U think the l92s will be too much with just CNC runners? He can run a thicker mls head gasket and bump the compression up a little

·
Need Moar Low
2,286 Posts
Re: Re: 6.2ls swap or 6.0ls

U think the l92s will be too much with just CNC runners? He can run a thicker mls head gasket and bump the compression up a little
on a stock stroke 4" bore with no power adders imo yes.
I wouldn't go l92 cnc until shes at least a 402 N/A

Those baby's flow a lot..

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
on a stock stroke 4" bore with no power adders imo yes.
I wouldn't go l92 cnc until shes at least a 402 N/A

Those baby's flow a lot..

I was talking for the 408 lol beau at sdpc told me the l92s are 50-60 hp bolt on over stock 317s and 243s are ~30 on the 4" bore

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
If he runs a thicker head gasket hes gunna lose compression ...
That's what I meant..with the l92s over 317s hell increase his compression ratio. Hell want to decrease it a hair with thicker gaskets on an n/a build right? I know 9.8-10.2 with 10.0 preferred CR is for boost. Not sure about n/a

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
On n/a setups I like the most you can run .. ive seen engines that are 15to 1 on race gas. The engine in my old truck was 11to1. I like compression

What peyton is talking about is having too much head on the motor.. velocity and all sorts of other crap comes into play and bigger is not always better. Im still not completely sold on square port heads. But you can put too much head on a engine and make less power .. the stock 6.0 doesnt move enough air as would a larger stroker motor

·
Need Moar Low
2,286 Posts
Limit on pump gas is about 11.5 or so to 1

Mine fell short at 10.8:1 cr
Good enough for me.

CR = Tq

Stock lq4 with unmilled 317s 9.4:1 I belive, very low.....,although milled heads will flow a hair less it worth it on a N/A build.

·
Need Moar Low
2,286 Posts
Re: Re: 6.2ls swap or 6.0ls

Don't forget possible fly cut with l92s + added cost of manifold,tb,and xlink

It's a good setup,just make sure it's right for your application

·
4,725 Posts
Find a pullout LS3. Cam package/holley intake alone will net your 550 crank hp. Convert reluctor etc... If you want 500 tq idle-redline, you should just look into a twin screw or turbo

·
4,725 Posts

·
This place sucks dicks
4,939 Posts
Boost the 5.3 and be done.

Also, your current list of mods made me jest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.