GMC Truck Forum banner

81 - 100 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
Solid axle '01 Tahoe/'03 Sierra/'18 Silverado
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Haven't posted in this thread for months. Looked at it and it has like 3 thousand views.

I was thinking nobody would even be interested if i posted an update of what it's been like driving it for 6 months. Maybe i should?

·
Some dude on the internet
642 Posts
If you want to post something then just do it. You don't need our permission. Yours is interesting, so I'd read it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Same here.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Lol.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Here's the update.

About 2500miles of driving. Mostly off road, except to get to where I'm off roading.

I've taken it on more than 25 off road trips since finishing. Overlanding style in a lot of cases. 150 or so miles never touching pavement.

I guess it's a bunch of things i was right about, and things i was wrong about.

First, i was wrong that i would just use it like i had, light trails and dirt roads. Nope, it was such an improvement that more in depth off roading came effortlessly. It's taken a beating off road
On 2 separate outings I've busted out both side windows

i was totally right that this would improve the ride quality. It's better massively on road and even moreso off road in the bumpy rough stuff

I was wrong about the auto 4wd. Turns out (stupidly on my part) that the auto 4wd mostly if not completely actuates in the diff actuator. So it "thinks" auto 4wd is working. But it's the same as being in 4-hi.

I was right on the tire size, it does not rub nearly ever.

I was right about the factory transfer case working perfectly.

I was right that the way i built it, that it would sit level front/rear after it settled.

The factory steps took a beating

I've since added a light bar, and rock sliders

The family is missing the steps. I'll add some bent tube steps that'll double as rub rails. I just don't have time, we've been off roading literally every single weekend. Doesn't leave much time to work on it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Awesome build, and so nice to see all the places you’ve wheeled it. And that it hasn’t broken, lol.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Awesome build, and so nice to see all the places you’ve wheeled it. And that it hasn’t broken, lol.
Thanks
I have even more pics of places.
It's been totally awesome. And no mechanical problems yet. I take that back, i needed to adjust the posi-lock 4x4 actuator cable. That's it though

Scouting for Christmas Trees, ended up covering 158 miles that trip, wheeling clear over a mountain to the other side.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I don't use the 3rd row, so bolted where the passenger seat hooks bolted in. I made a mount, and mounted an 80cf nitrogen tank that is amazing for air. It fills tires so fast after airing down. And can easily run air tools if needed.

I'll eventually add an actual on board air compressor as a backup. But this is far superior. I air down to 12psi for the trail, and run 40psi for the highway. It will do 20+ tire fills. I've never ran it all the way down. I keep it full in case.

·
n. fil-dert.
7,084 Posts
I did something similar at one time and got tired of filling the tank. It is faster than a compressor though. I would look into a hard strap to lock it down though, would be a bitch if that thing came loose in a roll lol.

Glad to see you are still wheeling this thing and haven't hacked it up too much. That red diff cover is still bugging me, would look better black but you do you boo boo :)

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I'll paint my cover when you paint over your red calipers 😁

·
n. fil-dert.
7,084 Posts
I'll paint my cover when you paint over your red calipers 😁
At least red calipers are a thing :ROFLMAO: I will paint my calipers orange like little pumpkins if you do that to your diff. Or the yellow diff with the smiley face. Your choice.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Oh man, i hate the yellow smiley face covers....

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Another thing i was right about was my need for a very very low profile front bumper. I left the factory hooks on.
You can tell by the fresh surface rust that they've been hitting as my lowest points repeatedly.

Where i was wrong was thinking i wouldn't need a winch for a while. The fact that this is so seamlessly capable I've been wheeling it more than i expected to. I did get stuck in a fairly minor way. And a winch would've solved it easily. Lockers also would've solved it.

I however had to call a buddy to yank me out. I was 75 miles from nowhere. Took him a while to get there.

So I've already got the lockers, just waiting on the shim kits to arrive from Amazon.

And factoring the hooks are hanging me up and need a super low profile bumper, plus the need for a winch. I think a custom bumper is on the horizon.

I was also wrong that I'd want to keep it looking incognito and not offroad-ish. The recent body damage and scrapes. Have already made it have that "offroader" look. And i totally don't care anymore if it looks all modded up with a custom front bumper.

I'm thinking a bumper of some sort that doesn't go below the bottom of the frame rails. With a 17,500lb winch.

The rule of thumb is at least triple your curb weight for winch capacity. I'm 5,000lbs or so. So i could get by with 15,000lbs. But 17,500 is the same price

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I moved my light bar back and up.

I had the brackets made for the nbs, but with it at the top of the windshield, it whistled and even hummed so bad that it was unbearable.

I haven't driven it yet with it moved. But it can't be worse, at 60mph you couldn't even have a conversation inside the car.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I hate the hell out of it. It looked so much better before.

The noise was unbearable.
It Also constantly got branches caught between it and the windshield where it was.

This is a case of function over form. . .at least that's what I'm telling myself

81 - 100 of 154 Posts