GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to take the plunge I am undecided on which route to go. I'm looking at 20" wheels and will post my question for that in the wheels section. With RC, both 6" and 7.5" are the same price. Wouldn't it be just wiser to go with the 7.5"? Any input on the pros and cons is appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured the flaming word would come up but was hoping it wouldn't. Just looking for some advice on the difference.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Both are stretched 5" kits. 6" is the max I would go with a 5" kit. Anything bigger and your better off buying a FTS kit

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Lol, as if someone is asking this already. [MENTION=25933]roundsy[/MENTION].

But they are the exact same lift. Only the 7.5" has a bigger strut spacer. Get the 6"

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Both are stretched 5" kits. 6" is the max I would go with a 5" kit. Anything bigger and your better off buying a FTS kit
7" Is the same as a level, thus, not too, too bad. But 7.5" now, angles are getting pretty harsh for ontop of a lift. that extra over 7" (1:2 ratio) makes BJ & TRE angles not great.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

That's like saying you wouldn't ever run anything bigger than a 1" leveling kit. People run rcx lifts at 7 with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
So a 5" RCX kit with a 2" level is cool?

You see guys stretch FTS 7" to 9" all day :shrug:

That's like saying you wouldn't ever run anything bigger than a 1" leveling kit. People run rcx lifts at 7 with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He asked about the RCX 7.5" not 7" and this is personal preference but if I were to go 7" I'd spend the extra money and buy a kit that droops everything the full 7" rather than run a stretched 5" kit, plus I'm partial to FTS kits

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
You see guys stretch FTS 7" to 9" all day :shrug:

He asked about the RCX 7.5" not 7" and this is personal preference but if I were to go 7" I'd spend the extra money and buy a kit that droops everything the full 7" rather than run a stretched 5" kit, plus I'm partial to FTS kits
FTS is nothing special. atall. front box is no beuno.

But a RCX 5" lift with a 1" spacer (lower strut), adjustable Bilsteins or coil overs set to around 7" is a common setup. Angles are not that bad atall. Not Ideal, sure, but plenty conservative.
[MENTION=25933]roundsy[/MENTION], He has Fox Coil overs, on a 5" RCX, set to around 7" of lift, and his angles aren't bad.

For the $4-500 saved versus the FTS lift (drops diff 7", LCA 8"), You could almost pay for Fox 2.0 front Coil overs, and It would ride much better.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Bingo

·
15 RCSB Z71
2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain 6.2L
3,447 Posts
While you're going to have the front end ripped apart to install this thing I would add bilsteins for what they are worth. They are adjustable in 0.59" increments so that's a nice plan B to have in your back pocket if you do get the itch to go up slightly higher.
Since it's the same price for the 6" and 7.5" kits (also would assume for the 5" as well), you essentially just have to pick your poison. I wouldn't buy the 7.5" kit myself because of the need to cut the bump stops and added stress up front as it's been previously stated so I would look to the 5" or 6" versions. Based off of that, my questions to you are do you have an end height in mind, do you have a preference for the rear block setup and what size tires do you plan to run?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts