GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a truck soon with a 7.4 liter (thats what a 454 is right?) and its a 97. well ive looked through a few magazies and im haing probs finding engine mods whether it be header, intakes, intake systems etc. Is there much out there for this engin or what?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm well?

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about the 454 vortec, but I can tell you this...

It makes something like 295 horse and 440lbs of torque, so its not a real slouch stock (but like any BB itll wake up). I know banks makes a full exhaust system for it and the 454's always wake up alot with real headers and such. The vortec 454 also uses the more standarized injector setup (as far as i know, anyway) as opposed to the stupidity placed on the vortec 350. This means your not gonna have a huge bottleneck with fuel delivery if you really want to get into the power. With a computer and some good boltons though, I think the newer 454 would really be enough power with a few easy mods to take care of most things your gonna need to do.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Just saw this.....

The vortec 454's seem to respond well to mild mods like headers (i've got gibson stainless mid length), cold air intakes like airaid, performance plugs, performance wires, etc. The banks power package is nice but I think it's a bit pricey.....although it is complete and makes good power.

I had tried a hand held tuner and it was junk....didn't do squat. When I get a chance I'll get a Wester's tune or a Ed Wright tune done....I don't believe Nelson's has one for our engines yet.

If you really want to bump the power a blower in nice :D. I dropped a whipple on mine (which bumps power on a stock 454 to 450hp and 650 ft. lbs.). With the eariler mentioned mods it'll make more,

Cameron

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the truck already has true dual flowmasters from the cat back. Hypertech he said mainly for the shift points because he said for power it didnt do shit. k&N filter. And the guy was a mechanic at a big construction company and he said they pulled the PCM and did their own tune on it since the Hypertech wont tune for 38's. Im just checking for future mods because all im gonna do for now is throw header on it because i felt the power of the bitch already :rocking:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.