GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mine and my dads new project. 70 c10 original short bed. Has a mild built 383 with a 700r4 trans, 12 bolt coil spring rear end, 3.73 gears. Trans ended up going out shortly after purchasing. Is now getting a 5.3/4l60e. Found a flex fuel 5.3 remanufactured from GM with 40k miles and a freshly rebuilt 4l60e from this past January. Came from a wrecked 05 Tahoe.

Putting in a Texas speed stage 3 low lift truck cam with ls6 springs

Will be pulling out the 383 and 700r4 tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,619 Posts
Looks like that starter has been hammered on a few times lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sanding on the engine bay. Whoever did the engine bay before used that crappy rustomleum spray can bed liner, that stuff sucks. I was able to blast off most of it with my pressure washer lol. Going to epoxy primer it, then high build prime it, and then shoot some flat black single stage.

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,619 Posts
Gonna be a head turner for sure

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not much has taken place since putting in the engine/trans. But I did get the power steering/alternator bracket on. Had to bend the bottom return line a bit for it to clear, and also was able to use the original power steering line which was a huge score, saves spending like 80 bucks on a line.

Also got the shorty headers in from speed engineering, wanted to go with long tubes but the shortys were a really good deal for the price.

The wiring harness came in today as well. Went with a PSI conversion harness, thought about an eBay harness but we didn’t want to chance having issues down the road.

Only thing we’re waiting on is the gas tank. Shipping has been delayed on it because of the virus, which sucks. But going to try and get the harness in next weekend, been really busy with work/school.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the bed off today in preparation for the new gas tank coming this week. I have no clue what tank the previous owner used on this. It’s pretty small as well. Will be cleaning and painting the frame too, and getting this old exhaust off.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got the gas tank installed. I found a write up of another guy using a 67 Camaro/firebird gas tank in his c10 and his results were good. So we decided to go that route. We used the same tank on the 68 firebird’s ls swap. It’s a spectra tank with a fuel pump designed for ls engines, so it made for an easy install. I believe it has a 255lph pump so it’s plenty for a basic cammed 5.3.

We used some 3/4 inch square tubing for the strap/tank mounts, and notched the frame for the filler neck. On the bed it has a unique filler door on the left side of the bed and we want to try and utilize that again. I’ll grab some pics of that once the bed is back on. The tank is mounted up pretty high so it won’t be seen once the bed is on

Fuel system is completely ran. Using some -6AN line for the feed/return and a corvette fuel filter/regulator.

I also got the wiring harness ran finally. It took me a while to find a nice spot for it to go. With how big the heater box assembly is on the passenger side it was hard to find a good spot down low for the harness to go through the firewall, I didn’t want to make a hole farther up because I want the wiring to be seen as little as possible. I thought about drilling a hole at the top of the trans tunnel/bottom of the heater box and having the ECU/fuse block under the seat but I didn’t want a big hump in the carpet from the wire loom running across the trans tunnel. I was able to utilize a hole already on the drivers side and run the harness through there and have the ECU/fuse block in the glove compartment. The harness was barely long enough to reach all the plugs on the passenger side, but it did make for a clean install and not having excess wire strung out in the engine bay.

I mounted the fuse block under the dash in a good accessible spot. I just used some long bolts and some spacers to space it up farther up into the dash. I do want to get some flush mount bolts to clean that up down the road. But you can’t even see it when sitting in the passenger seat.

This is how the ecu will be mounted like in this picture. When I went to trim out the glove box liner the plastic was so old and brittle it just fell apart. Once I get a new one that’s how it will be mounted but for now it’s just resting in place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts