GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to make plans for redoing an old project. It's an 84 swb chevy fullsize. I'm wanting to build a show/occasional weekend driver truck. I am planning to stock floor body drop it. I'm unsure of wether it will be to the rocker or the door. I was wondering what would be better, building my own frame out of square tube or using the factory frame. If I used the factory frame, I would weld up all of the extra holes and box most if not all of it. If i build my own, what front end should I use? Any ideas or info is appreciated! What about tubular control arms? what brand should I use? DJM doesn't recomend modifying theirs for bags. Has anyone done this? or other brands? Any and all info is appreciated!

Thanks
Trey

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't BD the truck. No need to with the 73-87' trucks. A lowered front crossmember or Z'ed frame will do the trick. To answer your question though: I would order custom mandrel bent frame rails through Art Morrison or other well known shop. This is the affordable and quick way.

Up front, I would use the stock front crossmember w/ custom control arms. DJM is the only company that offers control arms right now but ART is said to be releasing their own soon.

Check out this thread for information about the lowered front crossmember method. :cool:

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
KP has a new 4 link cantilever setup for those year trucks, if you didn't already know...
Sounds like a good project... :head:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys! I have already rebuilt all of the mechanics on the truck. So all I need to do is take the truck back down for suspension work, detailling and paint! Then I can start on body mods and interior!

Thanks
Trey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts