GMC Truck Forum banner

Which powertrain should I choose?

• '05-'06 Suburban 8.1 4L80E (modded 1st/2nd)

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • '09-'10 Suburban 6.0 6L90E

Votes: 5 55.6%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Colonel Ackley"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay fellas, I need some of you guys to weigh in with your .02

My '05 Yukon XL 2500 was given a great big loving hug by a Jetta who ran a red light and I just heard that there was damage to the frame. Insurance isn't sure if it's totaled yet, but I have a feeling repairing the frame of a 9 year old 2500 will take it to that point.

That being the case, I'm prowling Autotrader.com and the likes for more '05-'06 Suburban/XL 8.1s and '09-'10 Suburban 6.0 6-speeds (no new XLs, the front is just hideous). The only advantage standing out in my mind is that the NNBS will get 1, maybe 2 mpg better, and my last Yukon did better than most after the BBP tune and a stage 2 4L80E (the 2.75/1.57 1st/2nd gear swap is worth it. GM did us wrong by not having it there in the 1st place). I was averaging 12ish all around with the old truck, 15 hwy. Do you think the 6.0 and 6-speed will feed my craving for torque, or am I gonna have to mod the piss out of it? Should I just stick to my guns and build my third GMT800 8.1 and pray this one doesn't die like the rest?

·
"Colonel Ackley"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Built two. The first was run off the road thanks to a drunk driver, and at 70 mph proceeded through a power pole, natural gas meter, and tree, an accident which I thankfully walked away from. The accident a week ago was #2, whose fate is still TBD.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

·
Bitchin' Stitchin'
74 Posts
Built two. The first was run off the road thanks to a drunk driver, and at 70 mph proceeded through a power pole, natural gas meter, and tree, an accident which I thankfully walked away from. The accident a week ago was #2, whose fate is still TBD.

Aaahhh... thought that you meant that the engines themselves had died.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an 07 CCLB with the 8.1/allison 6spd and I love it. I drive a 2013 3500hd at work with 6.0/6l90 combo and its GUTLESS compared to the 8.1, Granted my work truck weighs 8k empty but I expected more from it. MY personal best mileage in the 8.1 it 14 mpg @70mph vs 9.3 mpg in the 6.0 @55mph. I would stick with the 8.1 and the mountain of torque it makes.

·
"Colonel Ackley"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it's probably not quite the right place to ask, but has anyone had any experience with the Ford 6.0 diesel and 5 speed auto? I've found two Excursions nearby that might fit the bill

·
Registered
176 Posts
My 11 HD25 6.0 Extended SLT short bed 4.11's
gets about 13-14 mpg combined (mostly highway at 75 mph) with 200 lbs constantly in the bed ...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know it's probably not quite the right place to ask, but has anyone had any experience with the Ford 6.0 diesel and 5 speed auto? I've found two Excursions nearby that might fit the bill

6.0's are always a gamble. I would stay away from them unless you got such a screaming deal on it. Engine replacement will be very pricey. Then again you might get lucky. My uncle and one of my other friends each have them and they have over 200k. My uncles has had a few injectors replaced and a water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts