GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I am also interested in doing this to my truck except changing my truck from 5 to 6 lugs. I would like to run the 16" wheels that the 92-98 K1500s had. Would the rotors from a 88-98 K1500 be the same size as the ones on my C1500, and would they bolt up to my spindle? I would probably just get some 6 lug axle shafts and drum brake covers for the rear.

Does this sound like it could be done? Or do I just have 4x4 envy?
Thanks.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Ross said:
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I am also interested in doing this to my truck except changing my truck from 5 to 6 lugs. I would like to run the 16" wheels that the 92-98 K1500s had. Would the rotors from a 88-98 K1500 be the same size as the ones on my C1500, and would they bolt up to my spindle? I would probably just get some 6 lug axle shafts and drum brake covers for the rear.

Does this sound like it could be done? Or do I just have 4x4 envy?
Thanks.
A K suspension is much different up front that a C suspension up front. On a C suspension the disc bolts up and rides on the spindle. The C discs have the studs integrated and your wheels actually bolt to the disc which has been bolted to your spindle hub. On a K the disc doesn't bolt to anything but slides over the studs and sits flat on the hub. The wheels actually bolts to the studs on the axle/hub...not the disc. To run stock 16" 4x4 wheels that is a ridiculous amount of work and money to accomplish. Out back you could do what you stated but I'd rather just find a stock 6 lug rear end and swap it in. Either way, like I mentioned, that is a lot of work and money to run a stock wheel.

Cameron

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the info, Cameron. I didn't know they were that different. It's not that I want to run stock wheels, but rather I want the stock 4x4 look for my 2WD, instead of getting a lift. So getting a rotor from a K1500 is out of the question, but, could the 99-04 1500 2WD front rotors be the same size as the 88-98? If they were, then I assume I could just bolt one up to my existing spindle.
Thanks for the help.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Ross said:
Thanks a bunch for the info, Cameron. I didn't know they were that different. It's not that I want to run stock wheels, but rather I want the stock 4x4 look for my 2WD, instead of getting a lift. So getting a rotor from a K1500 is out of the question, but, could the 99-04 1500 2WD front rotors be the same size as the 88-98? If they were, then I assume I could just bolt one up to my existing spindle.
Thanks for the help.
Errr....I would say 99.9% no. Although I'd need to look at a OBS 2wd spindle to a NBS spindle to tell if it was even possible. Even then the calipers probably woudn't fit and the front geometry may get gooft. Overall...if you want the look it would be better to get a 4x4. It's really a totally different animal...

Cameron

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ross said:
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead
haha that's OK, i'm still looking for answers. someone on PUTC told me GM makes the HD wheels in 6 lug? i haven't been able to get any more info or a part #, and the dealer has no clue what i'm talking about. if someone can confirm this i'd be real happy.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
hovisimo said:
haha that's OK, i'm still looking for answers. someone on PUTC told me GM makes the HD wheels in 6 lug? i haven't been able to get any more info or a part #, and the dealer has no clue what i'm talking about. if someone can confirm this i'd be real happy.
I call BS on that

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts