GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Eric, its worse I think than you and I thought. Pulled the pan to change the filter thinking it may be clogged, this is what I come to find...sigh. This truck is never going to be ready to do anything:nono:
80ematter001.jpg

80ematter002.jpg

80ematter003.jpg

Only symptoms so far are that after a highway trip of 15 minutes at 65mph, the trans didn't want to downshift to 3rd correctly, it went into nuetral but didn't shift until I selected 3rd. Also had a problem parking immediatly following in that it did the same thing going to reverse. A couple hours later I have a small 3" puddle of ATF under the trans but the unit works fine on my sub-50mph. Its been parked since.

Fluid was bright red, looked fresh so its hard parts somewhere, just not sure what Im doing about it right now.

I put the new filter on and am buttoning up the pan, Ill refill it and see if I can get anything worse to happen. Not a whole lot to loose at the moment.

Thoughts on what happened and suggestions?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Damn dude, far worse than I could have imagined! :whoa:

It could have been a shit rebuild (I could swear you got it reman), something just let go (but you'd have heard some sounds), or flat out overheated bad.

Did you look to see if the flow to the aux cooler was okay? If not, it could have contributed to the death. Now if it was okay, it may not have had correctly clearanced packs, bad clutch piston, etc, etc.

Won't really know until you tear it down. I don't think it can be saved with you puke not only ATF but large metal filings :pp:

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it was a GMPP used tranny from another guy. Tranny probably has less than 50k miles on it as the truck it came out of had been parted since 03 or something. The funny thing about the shavings ithat they are non-magnetic, are any of the typically worn parts aluminum? I'd have thought they would be steel for sure. Im wondering if its possible a steel rotating peice rubbed the housing and caused the shaving possibly when it got hot and expeanded?

The truck still runs fine, the funniest thing is the whine I had from what I thought was the tranny is gone now with the filter change. Ill probably drive it for a few weeks and see what happens, if it nukes Im pretty much stuck with having a shop rebuild it to stock spec, maybe Ill have them or do myself add an HD2.

I haven't bypassed the thermal bypass yet, but I will. I haven't had time to get the male-male barbed fittings.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Could be the converter too going poo if it was not replaced. :imo

Once the fluid is clean, I'd also consider an inline filter incase the converter is indeed taking a shit. It'll save the unit.

Since it's a GMPP unit, I have doubts that the internals are going bad.

If you rebuild it, just use some performance clutches, good steels, per the ATSG specs, TransGo, new forward input drum, sprag, etc. There isn't much needed to take the trans to being beef.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive already got an inline filter on the return of the cooler.

The converter was also a used unit so it very well could be having a problem, but comparitively thats a cheap fix.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Ive already got an inline filter on the return of the cooler.

The converter was also a used unit so it very well could be having a problem, but comparitively thats a cheap fix.

Did ya remove and cut open that inline filter?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I pull the thermal bypass Ill pull the inline filter and see if its plugged as well. Who knows?

I spent a bit more time thinking about it and Ive rebuilt everything else on the truck short of the motor and tranny so far, might as well keep up the tradition. If it dies Ill have to tear it down, the savings might push me to spending the $$$ on the deeper 1st and 2nd gear to help my crawl ration and get the piggy moving in town.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
If it's broken, it is. Fuck it, fix it and motor on. You can handle an automatic rebuild. That wide ratio kit is great, but it's about $600 when I looked. Maybe I'll call up TCI and get a wholesale price on them.

I can think of three of us currently that would buy it.

But, I am curious what is in the filter.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it's broken, it is. Fuck it, fix it and motor on. You can handle an automatic rebuild. That wide ratio kit is great, but it's about $600 when I looked. Maybe I'll call up TCI and get a wholesale price on them.

I can think of three of us currently that would buy it.

But, I am curious what is in the filter.
Yea, I figure if I can gear a rear end I can set up an auto. Ive been reading a bit on the rebuild and Ill probably pick up an ATSG manual today for it so I can even better understand. You mentioned that the pump housing likes to crack and do weird things to the line pressure, any suggestions on a different pump housing? Also whats your preference on clutches BW, Red Alto's? Im really don't need a massively built 80e, but some updates to the weaker sections is the plan, thoughts? Ill build the valve body when I do it like you had suggested. This all of course is if the trans dies.

Yea the cost on that wide ratio kit from TCI direct on their site is like $730(yikes), but PATC has them for $650. Wholesale would be nice.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
when my 80e decided it didnt want to shift and do the limp home mode, i had a wire that got busted loose thanks toa dumbass friend( decided to be funny at a show and pop my tcase in neurtral. in the process he snapped my spedo sensor wire and screwed up a harness) it was a simple fix but took 18 hours shop time to find. that would explain shiftin, but the aluminum i cant help you with.... wish i could tho!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yea, I figure if I can gear a rear end I can set up an auto. Ive been reading a bit on the rebuild and Ill probably pick up an ATSG manual today for it so I can even better understand. You mentioned that the pump housing likes to crack and do weird things to the line pressure, any suggestions on a different pump housing? Also whats your preference on clutches BW, Red Alto's? Im really don't need a massively built 80e, but some updates to the weaker sections is the plan, thoughts? Ill build the valve body when I do it like you had suggested. This all of course is if the trans dies.

Yea the cost on that wide ratio kit from TCI direct on their site is like $730(yikes), but PATC has them for $650. Wholesale would be nice.

Once you read that book a few times, you'll see lots more.

I like the Alto Red Eagles. There is only one for the OD pack that's performance, they're the Raybestos Blues. That's a huge increase in torque capacity. I'd do the new forward drum too, it's about $110.

Not sure what year your unit is, but there are updated for the manual 2nd band. That's about it for on the cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts