GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the take out 80e I put in the truck seems to be suffering some ailments so like everything else on the truck I guess it needs a full teardown and rebuild by yours truly.

Now, Im not building a race tranny. The new converter is the low 7.4L stock stall speed. I am not using a hardened main shaft for nitous shots or the like. It just needs to hold to the distant future LQ4(put farther on hold to save for a DP on a CTD) and keep temps low while traveling very slowly over rough terrain. I did not opt for the slightly lower gearset however as $550 was more than I can justify for a .27:1 gain in 1st and a .04:1 gain in 2nd. Ill build a 241 crawl box for less than that.

So I can't pull the tranny yet as I don't have any space to work, need to finish some projects this weekend. I did however order all the parts and they started showing up.

Converter and Shift kit.
Transpartsv201.jpg

Transpartsv201-1.jpg

I will update as peices come in and I start ripping the guts out.

·
Mile High
3,080 Posts
Nice, I think I'll be looking into buying one of these for the tahoe once the L31 leaves and I start breaking alloy 10bolt shafts :evil: Are the gm 60's and 80's pretty easy to build? I've cracked a few ford aod's, c4's and c6's open but wasn't sure on the differences.

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
I just got through doing the same to my 80e, be VERY careful drilling the valvebody you do not want to wallow out any holes at all. I went with a stock 80e stall, I got tired of breaking aftermarket stalls.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue plate OD's, new steels, updated manual band and hardened clutch hub.
Transpartsv201-2.jpg

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I wish i knew how an auot worked. So many little plantes and sun gears etc.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
What kind of special tools will you need to do that?

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of special tools will you need to do that?
Dial indicator, Ill probably have to use my race driving kit, maybe make a trip to the auto machine shop and have something pressed and Ill prbably have to build some pullers.

That converter is a little :supergay:
Well you know I bought it specifically for the power purple color so I could make a statement about myself. I mean thats just what people do right?

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
plez list your parts and part numbers that you are using to upgrade your 80E

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill throw something together tonight. Much thanks to Eric for his assistance though regardless.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Lookin good, I'm going to rebuild my 700r4 this summer so it'd be cool to have another writeup on auto's. I'm still searching for a LQ4/80e but it's not looking so great right now.

Goodluck, Hope this one lasts for ya.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Cant wait to read about this Kyle. Im sure you will amaze us with a very educational write up.

·
The ShiZnit!
1,062 Posts
I have rebuilt a couple of 4l60e's. 1 s10 and 2 camaro's and there not fun, I built a couple at school as well. I dont think you'll need to many special tools besides a press, and some beer :hmm:

when you gies said all those planatary gears and such I laughed my ass off because I remember in school we had to memorize that shit... the plantitary connects to the input and so on....blah blah blah... fuck wyotech :guns:

·
Chainsaw Collector.
57 Posts
I have rebuilt a couple of 4l60e's. 1 s10 and 2 camaro's and there not fun, I built a couple at school as well. I dont think you'll need to many special tools besides a press, and some beer :hmm:

when you gies said all those planatary gears and such I laughed my ass off because I remember in school we had to memorize that shit... the plantitary connects to the input and so on....blah blah blah... fuck wyotech :guns:
I went through the same stuff at Wyotech earlier this year as well. It was pretty easy for me to get the part names memorized for the 4T60E(front wheel drive GM trans) that we had to rebuild, but I struggled with the powerflow really bad. I still think to this day that knowing the powerflow of an automatic trans is completely unnecessary, but oh well. My class did come up with some funny names for some of the parts in that trans, though. The reverse reaction drum was renamed the cookie cutter(because it looks like one) and the 4th clutch hub and shaft assembly was renamed the ass trumpet(again, because it looks like one).

Scott

·
Registered
279 Posts
every 4L80 I've ever messed with usually comes in to my shop for a shift solenoid

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trans will shift fine for the most part, but once it gets hot it will act up and not want to downshift unless I manually force it to and reverse takes a second. Im debating buying an new pump as well but I think I might just pull the current one and check the clearance between the gears and the case before I make any desicions.

I got the main rebuild kit today along with the 34 element sprag but I left the sprag at work by accident, oh well.
TransmissionPartsV201.jpg

Seals, gaskets, o-rings and new dipstick grommet.
TransmissionPartsV201-1.jpg

Basic trans filter(though mine is basically brand new at this point) and the bushings.
TransmissionPartsV201-2.jpg

Alto clutches and steels.

No reverse band so Ill have to look at trying to find a new one. Ive heard the early TH400 ribbed bands are better as the metal band is thicker and will hold better than the newer ones but Im not sure where to get the older style.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took an afternoon but I go the trans out with some help at the end to lower it safely.
TransDrop1-2.jpg

Mess of parts
TransDrop1.jpg

Not sure what exactly is happening here. The seal on the trans is good but there was a little water and some pepto trans fluid in the adaptor and this waxy like foam on the t-case.
TransDrop1-1.jpg

Safely in the garage but in need of a quicky work bench to be built.
TransDrop1-3.jpg

The truck is a cavernous pit again.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
nice do you work on your truck alone?

you have the mechanical experience of people twice your age

·
Registered
554 Posts
are you feeling that "every 1 hr offroad spends 100 hrs being worked on" dismay yet?:D

All least you do all the work yourself, congrats :shake:

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nice do you work on your truck alone?
Yup, my dad looks at me like Im crazy and always asks if Im sure all the peices came out of the same truck. I did call a few of my friends over for a half hour this evening to help make sure the 80e made it to the ground safely though, Im no superman.

are you feeling that "every 1 hr offroad spends 100 hrs being worked on" dismay yet?:D

All least you do all the work yourself, congrats :shake:
Don't get me started, the last time I was wheeling it was last Memorial Day:pow:

1 - 20 of 141 Posts